Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some data on pod filters shows the oppisite of what people might expect

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I did similar testing comparing the standard VS airbox fitted with super 6 CAI Vs the MACE cold air set up. the info, including data logs is somewhere here on the site.

What I found is that the MACE set up takes a lot longer to heat up when stuck in traffic for extended periods of time (when surrounded by other cars which produces more heat). Once I got moving intake temps dropped to ambient fairly quickly. My test were done in the afternoon so ambient temps where around 22-23 degrees.

Fact is when your stationary your gonna get a lot of hot air under the bonnet. On my VS with MACE spacers the plenum gets warm when stuck in traffic for extended periods of time, I can't see this heat coming through the insulators because If I get moving and keep moving for a while then the plenum will be cold to the touch (and yet the engine will produce more heat). From that I conclude that a lot of the heat that I find in the intake manifold/plenum must come from the hot air that is in the engine bay when stationary or moving slowly. I really can't see much point in sucking in warm air if there is no need.

In and ideal situation you would want to take cold air directly from outside the vehicle as you've mentioned already. I modified my enclosed POD filter to do this and I can't say that I have been disappointed with it.

Jaydon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS Commodore
How do I make my own post? Newbie alert!!!

Hello sorry I'm new here I just can't figure out to make my own post on here, any help appreciated thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hello sorry I'm new here I just can't figure out to make my own post on here, any help appreciated thanks

click on the new thread button at the top of the previous page (the page that lists all the threads in which ever sub forum you wish to create a thread).

cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It makes very little difference how much air can flow through a filter in N/A form as the engine can only displace so much volume. As long as the filter flows enough to feed the engine at full throttle and maximum revs, that is all you need. It won't matter if a filter flows more than that.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I did similar testing comparing the standard VS airbox fitted with super 6 CAI Vs the MACE cold air set up. the info, including data logs is somewhere here on the site.

What I found is that the MACE set up takes a lot longer to heat up when stuck in traffic for extended periods of time (when surrounded by other cars which produces more heat). Once I got moving intake temps dropped to ambient fairly quickly. My test were done in the afternoon so ambient temps where around 22-23 degrees.

Fact is when your stationary your gonna get a lot of hot air under the bonnet. On my VS with MACE spacers the plenum gets warm when stuck in traffic for extended periods of time, I can't see this heat coming through the insulators because If I get moving and keep moving for a while then the plenum will be cold to the touch (and yet the engine will produce more heat). From that I conclude that a lot of the heat that I find in the intake manifold/plenum must come from the hot air that is in the engine bay when stationary or moving slowly. I really can't see much point in sucking in warm air if there is no need.

In and ideal situation you would want to take cold air directly from outside the vehicle as you've mentioned already. I modified my enclosed POD filter to do this and I can't say that I have been disappointed with it.

Im having trouble viewing your logs I have efi live on the computer but still cant open them is there anyway you can post a screen shot?