Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some data on pod filters shows the oppisite of what people might expect

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Since I have been experimenting with air intakes I would like to show the data recorded in reguards to the set up in the pictured the data was
recorded while running this was taken on a 18-19 degree night at running temperature the recorded intake air temperature is 20.75

100_7858.jpg

statesmandata2.png

statesmandata1.png

Here is the currnt set up that I have been experimenting with ,now what the it doesnt show is the maxium air temperature at idle on a 20 degree night with the engine at 180 f is 30 c as soon you move it will drop down within seconds to 19.25 which is consistant with the out side ambient temperature so it doesnt seem that the engine or intake in my case causes the engine to suck hot air

100_9018.jpg

100_9021.jpg

statesmandata4.png

statesmandata5.png

If I could find a host you I could post the real time playback and you would see that the air moving through the piping cools almost instantly the highest Idle air temperature recorded was 23-30 degrees after 15 minutes of striaght idling compared to a my sons Na series 2 v6 VR using my factory statesman CAI which was almost double the temperature also Im have been getting the air temperature down to the outside ambient temperatures give or a take a degree so its defiantly in the path of the cool air which is moving too fast to be heated by heat soak in the pipes which is what the data is showing also remember Im using alloy pipes so the theory they suffer more from heat soak doesnt stand up

So feel free to post up some more readings of other setups as long as they are real world readings and not dyno readings as most people drive with threr bonnet closed

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
But you have a supercharger, so ambient air temp means nothing.

And the above is pretty much what I have always said.

Last edited:

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
But you have a supercharger, so ambient air temp means nothing.

And the above is pretty much what I have always said.

The point of showing the data was to show the incoming air temperature isn't affect by heat soak when using pods or alloy tubing as people think reguardless of whether the car is a NA or charged

And I'm not a fan of any aftermarket cold air intake Box that relies on a tiny hole behind a headlight that I can't even stick a finger in to feed cold air into a engine without some hard data in real driving conditions which I hope some will post here

Last edited:

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman

might help a bit

They summed up what I would happen on a dyno but it would also be interesting to do all of the tests again on the road and log the data they should have measured torque too

Even though there wasn't any power gains with the cooler air on the dyno they never tuned the cars to take advantage of the mods
Im personally not for or against pod or panel filters but I'm would like people have the facts before commenting on others people's set ups

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
interesting findings, although intake air temps will also be very much dependent upon the difference between ambient temps and under bonnet temps at various different conditions and speeds. Also something you can't measure easily, is the air turbulence to the intake which is also a very important factor when it comes to exposed filters. With some sort of closed intake system isolated from the rest of the engine bay, you will tend to get a nice steady stream of air coming through the front of the car. Whereas an exposed filter is going to get irregular pockets of air from the engine bay which also has to effect performance under real conditions (ie on the road).

just a point about the dyno tests, they don't really prove much one way or another. You can't really carry out a proper test without simulating the same sort of airflow you would get on the road. I can't see any sort of airflow in the way of a fan in those dyno videos. So they are basically testing an intake system under static airflow conditions, which is not reflecting what actually happens on the road.

I think it would be difficult to really come up with any accurate data on this without being able to simulate the airflow characteristics of a vehicle on a dyno and then measuring power difference. It seems most forms of motorsport do place a lot of emphasis on insulating the intake system from the engine bay, and the top levels of the sport invest many thousands of dollars testing various setups in order to get the best performance out of their engines. And when it comes to motor racing, weight is crucial (as is easy access to the engine) so if they didn't need all the additional airboxes and airtrays then I figure they wouldn't be using them.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
interesting findings, although intake air temps will also be very much dependent upon the difference between ambient temps and under bonnet temps at various different conditions and speeds. Also something you can't measure easily, is the air turbulence to the intake which is also a very important factor when it comes to exposed filters. With some sort of closed intake system isolated from the rest of the engine bay, you will tend to get a nice steady stream of air coming through the front of the car. Whereas an exposed filter is going to get irregular pockets of air from the engine bay which also has to effect performance under real conditions (ie on the road).

just a point about the dyno tests, they don't really prove much one way or another. You can't really carry out a proper test without simulating the same sort of airflow you would get on the road. I can't see any sort of airflow in the way of a fan in those dyno videos. So they are basically testing an intake system under static airflow conditions, which is not reflecting what actually happens on the road.

I think it would be difficult to really come up with any accurate data on this without being able to simulate the airflow characteristics of a vehicle on a dyno and then measuring power difference. It seems most forms of motorsport do place a lot of emphasis on insulating the intake system from the engine bay, and the top levels of the sport invest many thousands of dollars testing various setups in order to get the best performance out of their engines. And when it comes to motor racing, weight is crucial (as is easy access to the engine) so if they didn't need all the additional airboxes and airtrays then I figure they wouldn't be using them.

I agree but I do have a solution air turbulence I'm yet to try out of curiosity sake but im not going into that on here at the momemt and another option would to be throw ones of these inline and I even could loose the pod filters and make up a flange on the ends extend them and bolt it on to a hole directly cut into guard
Spectre Performance

With the race cars I wonder if it's more a safety issue that regulated than a choice?but I suppose the under bonnet temperature they see must be pretty severe

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
What was running time pre test and how far travelled etc? I found standard airbox got to same temp but took an extra minute or 2, also have to consider the mods done to the car which would prevent excess heat. My rad needs replacing along with water pump, therefore the pod has higher heat to draw in where as my standard airbox takes longer to get the heat in. Also, where have you found the best spot to mount as mine was mounted inplace of the standard air box, no hope of receiving outside air

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
pretty sure they were running a dyno fan in the videos above... not saying its the be all and end all of the arguement just for once they are backing up what they are saying with some evidence unlike 99% of people who have an opinion on it

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
What was running time pre test and how far travelled etc? I found standard airbox got to same temp but took an extra minute or 2, also have to consider the mods done to the car which would prevent excess heat. My rad needs replacing along with water pump, therefore the pod has higher heat to draw in where as my standard airbox takes longer to get the heat in. Also, where have you found the best spot to mount as mine was mounted inplace of the standard air box, no hope of receiving outside air

With the test we have done on the statesman & Vr calais anywhere in the direct path of incoming air is best but there's only miminal temperature difference at driving but the main difference is the cool down rate of the air is a bit longer when you mount a pod where the air box is