Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some newbie questions :)

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hey guys,

Well i'm coming in Late to the Audio industry so I have a question.

How do ohms and amps work?

What I mean is, I current have 2 x 400RMS 2 ohms (800 into 2 ohms) subs.

They're the Pioneer champion series 1200watt series. 12"

Anyway, what i want to know is a friend of mine i was trying to discuss with him about this.

He suggested the Jaycar Response precision 1000WRMS into 1 ohm amp for me.
It lists its:

@ 1 ohm mono 14.4V: 1000WRMS
@ 2 ohm mono 14.4V: 600WRMS
@ 4 ohm mono 14.4V: 300WRMS
@ 2 ohm linkable, dual mono 14.4V: 1800WRMS

If the subs are 800WRMS @ 2 ohm, I thought you would need 2ohm 800wrms, but apparently my friend is telling me 1000WRMS into 1 ohm is more than enough.

I'm surely not doubting him, i just want an explanation of how it works, I get the basics but ohms I have no idea about.

THANKS GUYS!

Oh, another thing. What size speakers are in the doors of a VY Commodore? and will they fit like 6.5"?

Cheers.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You can wire speakers and subwoofers in different configurations to change the impedance load they present to an amp.

If you have 2 x subwoofers, each with an impedance level of 2 ohms, then you can wire them in parralell to produce a 1 ohm load. Because it's easier to create power at lower impedance levels (ohms) you are better of buying an amplifier that produces the lowest possible impedance level that you can configure your subwoofers to.

So yes a 1ohm stable amplifier would be the preffered option.

Factory VY door speakers are 6 inch. Depending on what your after, the stock mounting ring (litle plastic bracket thingy) can be modified to accomodate a slightly larger speaker i.e 6.5 inch. However your best making up your own mounting rings out of MDF (you can buy them pre-made also) that way you get a secure mount and you can ensure a proper seal.

itchy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
the subs are dual 2 ohm 200rms voice coil per sub so 400rms per sub and are wired at the woofer in series making them a 4 ohm load per woofer then when u hook both terminals to an amp its like two 4 ohm subs wired in parallel so the amp will see a 2ohm load

so pretty much u should be looking for an amp around 800rms into 2ohm

just thought id clear that up

**fixed**

Last edited:

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
the subs are dual 2 ohm 200rms voice coil per sub so 400rms per sub and are wired at the woofer in parallel making them a 4 ohm load per woofer then when u hook both terminals to an amp its like two 4 ohm subs wired in series so the amp will see a 2ohm load

you said series.. wired in series will be a 8ohm load.. you mean wired in Parallel for a 2ohm load.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
the subs are dual 2 ohm 200rms voice coil per sub so 400rms per sub and are wired at the woofer in series making them a 4 ohm load per woofer then when u hook both terminals to an amp its like two 4 ohm subs wired in parallel so the amp will see a 2ohm load

**fixed**

Yeah I noticed, the amp I'm looking at is 600WRMS into 2 ohms, but it should run it fine for the time being i suppose. finding something like a ZX750.1 cheap would be a pain

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
give them more than what there rated for :D especially kicker rate low like jl and at 14.4v.. try find one with more watts to like when i look for amps it always goes under 14.4v when its cranked so if u get a amp with more power you will give the subs more even at a lower voltage