Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some stage-2 shift kit questions

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Alright, I've had a good squiz at the forums, and I havn't found any concrete answers that made me happy, so here's a pile of great questions that I'm hoping some mech-nerd can answer! :D

True or False:

1) a stage-2 B&M shift kit will cost me about $120 for the parts
2) a good mechanic can install this for me in about 3hrs
3) my gear changes will be sharper, and faster
4) gears will change almost instantly when I pull the stick down from 3rd to 2nd
5) with the stick in 2nd, my car will still launch from the lights in 1st
6) wear on my gearbox will remain a non-issue as long as I don't rip her into 1st doing 60kph

Short-answer

1) with the shift-kit, which gears change like a manual (going up and down). i.e. if I'm doing 50 in 2nd gear, still giving it a stack of throttle, and I pull up into 3rd, will it shift, or stay in 2nd where it belongs?
1) what are these corvette servos I hear people talking about
2) what do they do
3) how much do they cost
4) pros/cons versus price

God bless whoever answers these questions. :bow: I'd ask a mechanic, but they always seem to have some sort of vested interest in the answers they give.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i dont know how much i like to be this "mech-nerd" that answers you, but anyway, lol.
true/false
1) true....but a transgo shiftkit is better
2)true
3)true...they will be very crisp and anything over 1/2 throttle will launch into gear (ie, probably chirp wheels)
4)true
5)hmmm, not too sure about that one, a stage 2 has full control of gears, so whatever gear your in, thats what it will be in to any rpm.
6)wear on bands and 3/4 clutch will decrease, true

short answer
1) all gears will, stage two has full manual control back and forth....untill you put it in "d" and it will be like normal changing automatically (the difference between stage 2 and stage 3)
1) (hey, you put 2 Q 1's) they are exactly that, a servo piston that was used in corvette 'boxes
2) they are are bigger/better design of the ones found in your 'box atm, they have a larger surface area to hold the band with greater force under pressure, giving you a harder firmer shift.
3) around $30 each
4) there are none, they are one of the best things you can do for your transmission on a budget.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
Alright, I've had a good squiz at the forums, and I havn't found any concrete answers that made me happy, so here's a pile of great questions that I'm hoping some mech-nerd can answer! :D

True or False:

1) a stage-2 B&M shift kit will cost me about $120 for the parts
2) a good mechanic can install this for me in about 3hrs
3) my gear changes will be sharper, and faster
4) gears will change almost instantly when I pull the stick down from 3rd to 2nd
5) with the stick in 2nd, my car will still launch from the lights in 1st
6) wear on my gearbox will remain a non-issue as long as I don't rip her into 1st doing 60kph
1 true
2true
3true,with wheelspin into second
4true
5true, what ever gear you are in form a standing start it will always start in first
6 it has a slightly higher wear rate but not enough to worry about

Short-answer

1) with the shift-kit, which gears change like a manual (going up and down). i.e. if I'm doing 50 in 2nd gear, still giving it a stack of throttle, and I pull up into 3rd, will it shift, or stay in 2nd where it belongs?
1) what are these corvette servos I hear people talking about
2) what do they do
3) how much do they cost
4) pros/cons versus price

God bless whoever answers these questions. :bow: I'd ask a mechanic, but they always seem to have some sort of vested interest in the answers they give.
1 the auto will still change like an auto if its in drive,if you put it from 2nd-3rd at 50 at reasinabil revs it will change to 3rd
2. the corvette servos just bolt into the auto. they provide a higher fluid pressure wich allows for a sharper shift.
im not sure what they cost
if your going to get a stage 2 shift kit dont just get a bolt on job get it done by the professionals.
i would highly recomend DTM automatics in geelong they build race transmitions. they built the whole shift kitted auto in my cousins vn and that thing is now a weapon

by the way i am a mechanic:yeah:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
bloody aswesome, sircruisealot and xcop :D I now understand exactly what these shift-kits are on about better than ever!

I think I'll seriously look into getting one thrown in next time I do an auto service. May your own personal gods bless you both individually. \o/

time to start saving. lol

edit: reputation added for you two. Cheers again for the effort :D

Last edited:

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
Yeh i'm getting a stage 2 and corvette servo installed, although i'd like to hear opinions on why Transgo is better, as far as i've seen so far (which is not much) people rate them about the same.

cracker

Reaction score
not going to be much difference as the transgo kit is just a modded seperator plate?
shift kits are good yes get one and if you dont mind a bit of a bump when it changes gears it great

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
That's an interesting point, 'cause the transgo kit does cost a tank of gas more than the B&M.

Actually, here's a question: if I get a shift-kit installed, can I keep my current gear selector? Or will I have to upgrade to one of those akward-looking metal sticks?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahh. awesome. thanks chief ^^