Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
My 94 Stateman (Styled as a Grange replica).

The end goal for the car was to have a 90's spec period correct Street machine style cruiser. I wanted to use parts that were popular in the commodore scene when the car was new. (E.g B&M shifter, gauges, aftermarket cassette deck, classic style simmons, cammed n/a engine)

Model:
1994 VR Statesman (Grange tribute) - Named Phoenix (those that have followed the build will know why)

Stereo:
Stock

Engine:
* Holden 304 (Crow 4761 Cam + Crow lifters, Crow hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.65 Roller Rockers, shaved and ported cylinder heads, JP Oil Pump, Rollmaster timing kit, KC Rocker Covers, MSD Blaster coil, ICE leads, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold, EFI Hardware 750cfm 4bbl throttle)

Walbro GSS342 Pump, Raceworks fuel rail and regulator, Bosch 775 Bluetop injectors.

* GM 4L60-E + ATE 3200RPM Converter + Aeroflow Nitro shifter + B&M Shift Kit + B&M Electronic Shift Controller + TCI Finned deep trans pan + Aeroflow 52mm Trans Cooler

* 3.73 LSD

* Di Filippo 4-1 Headers > Twin 2.5" High Flow Cats > Twin 2.5" Exhaust.

* 52mm Alloy radiator, Aeroflow thermostat housing, BF Thermo fan, Derale PWM fan controller.

* Aeroflow 120a alternator

Interior:
* Caprice Leather centre console and radio surround.

* Autometer Gauges

* Caprice interior in custom tan/black colour scheme.

* Muscle Garage B&M Shifter Dropbox + Retrimmed Leather T Handle B&M shift knob.

Exterior:

* Statesman side mouldings, chromes strips and two tone deleted and resprayed in GM Alaskan white (VS Grange styled).

* Simmons V5 3 piece wheels

* Clear Side Indicators

* S3 garnish and tail lights and rear lower bumper lip.

* Caprice Grille and badging

* VS Caprice front indicators and fog lights

* Semi smoothed and shaved engine bay with hidden wiring.

Suspension:
* Nolathaned Front End

* King Spring Low Springs

Brakes:
* VZ Twin Piston Calipers & Rotors

Circa 2012-13
MwTzQ45.jpg
5FNKzsW.jpg

(Updated pics as of July 2022, post respray).

dCQNfng.jpg

XP2Sxhx.jpg

R521IDz.jpg

RnDE4cL.jpg

pAj3Odo.jpg

3NwgWrT.jpg

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
looking smick. the VR-VS "show off your ride" section needs moar statesmans. They are one of my favorite cars.

are those cup holders below the stereo?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
looking smick. the VR-VS "show off your ride" section needs moar statesmans. They are one of my favorite cars.

are those cup holders below the stereo?

They are indeed mate.....previous owner installed them, I found them yesterday and started using them hehe..score

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Jelly. I seriously need to look into getting some cup holders too for my statey.

Do they get in the way of the shifter?

Also, this tread needs moar pics asap.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
More pics!
Sounds like a good start.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
iChris seems pretty happy lol
Looking pretty good

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
New pics uploaded now its all cut and polished :p (gotta give the people what they want)

Starting on the blue LED conversion in the interior this week to get rid of the dated green (best mod I ever did to the old VS)

Engine has developed a slight bearing knock when it gets warm, engine will be replaced in a month or two when I have the money then the dead one will become the start of the 355 project ;p (engine is still drivable for now at least)

Exhaust also getting fiddled with this week (Removing the resonator from the existing catback and leaving the 2 mufflers in, should give it a little more growl)

Last edited: