Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
In seriousness what a motor and box go for these days?

Well I picked my current one up last year for $600 which included bolt ons.

They have dropped a bit since, I see plenty with transmissions for around that price these days.

But would prefer to buy from a member here or a friend, as buying from randoms on gumtree etc is a luck of the draw when it comes to motor health.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Don't you plan on 355 anyways?
I was trying for 700 with ecu, loom, you pipe, manifold, box and motor. Why no buy?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Don't you plan on 355 anyways?
I was trying for 700 with ecu, loom, you pipe, manifold, box and motor. Why no buy?

Yeah going to do 355 but I want to put a good motor in the car now and use my higher km worn tired one in the car now for the build.

As the build will just be as I have time/money I need a good engine to run in the car until the build is done as I don't wanna rush it.

I dunno why nobody has bought yours, maybe they are more common in Vic, who knows.........If I end up in vic for work sometime in the near future I will let you know as I could chuck it in my van.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Will see you soon then ;)

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
700 for loom ecu box and 165xxx? Mate if u ever decide to throw freight in for that cost let me know:p no idea why its not selling..

I agree with rathering a forum member as opposed a random. Its not heaps safer but it feels more secure.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
There ya go wombles :p

*cough sale commission cough*

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have no time to organize freight.. haha.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
And i have no time to swap motors hence why im happily waiting for "that bargain" to come along.

Smart move op with building the original motor and finding an interim motor Less rego hassles etc.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Smart move op with building the original motor and finding an interim motor Less rego hassles etc.

Well the engine thats in it now isn't original either as I bought the car with a spun bottom end bearing so just coffee tabled that motor, as who knows how much damage was done to the bores etc driving with spun bearings and metal everywhere for 3500km with about 2psi oil pressure.....the crank/cam/bearings looked nasty when I stripped it down.

It's more that it could take me a year or two of just slowly hacking away at the stroker build (do a little each week) so I want a reliable/decent motor to run the car on for that length of time.

Last edited:

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Fair enough.. Fair enough. Shame though as matching numbers are a nice touch.