Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Someone crashed into my VE SV6!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Yeah figured it would be repairable. It won't be any less safe after it's been repaired. Yeah it sucks that you have a repaired car, but that's just part of life.

Only thing you need to do is make sure you have it repaired by a decent repairer...

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
Yeah figured it would be repairable. It won't be any less safe after it's been repaired. Yeah it sucks that you have a repaired car, but that's just part of life.

Only thing you need to do is make sure you have it repaired by a decent repairer...

not having a go at you or anything, you just happen to be the person that wrote the above comment.
I work with steel, and I can tell you right now that the impact absorption/resistance will be affected if the steel is bent out of place and then bent back in place, once you bend/fold/crease sheet metal or any steel. It's properties are affected. If you take a piece of steel and bend it a couple of times it will eventually break. The only way this can be avoided is if every single piece of steel that has been distorted is replaced. If it involves cutting and welding, that too will affect the safety of the vehicle. On what level, depends on the quality of the weld. Just my 2 narrow-minded cents.

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
14,000 dam thats a fair bit probly about 50% value of the car at what point do they write them off these days 75%????

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
did they say anything about the doors not closing?

That really is bad news in a way, even though they will do a good job at fixing it, if those shock forces have gone through the whole chassis, who knows what potential electronics its affected etc, or reduced the lifespan of.

not to mention the brain sits in the boot with the battery

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I just saw this thread for the first time..... OP, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.
10 weeks old and a POS telstar takes away all your enjoyment of buying and owning a brand new car :(.
It's a real shame that the insurance isnt going to write it off.

I know it will sound dodgy to everyone reading, but if I was you I'd get the thing repaired (be really picky with the end repair) and then sell it... not telling the unsuspecting buyer that it's been in an accident. (flame suit on... buyer beware folks, dont get angry at me)
Flog it off and go buy another car (like a dealer demo or something). I dont care how good a repair the insurers do, it will never be the same again. They can bend metal back into shape (and be weaker in the process) and change bits and pieces, but how do you really know everything is as it should be? With sensors and fancy safety equipment in modern cars, who's to say everything is still working just like new? Flog it off for the best possible price, spend a few thousand out of your pocket if need be and get another new car mate.

Edit: have you thought about getting your own repairer to assess the damage? if you can prove that there is more damage than the insurance company says (and have it in writing), maybe you can get the repair figure higher to get a write off. Get a few different quotes and pick the 2 highest ones.... the insurer does the exact opposite, gets a few quotes and picks the cheapest. Dispute the assessment that its 'only' $14k.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'm actually with UFO on this. I did $16,000 worth of damage in my old VY. No one else involved luckily. Spun out on me at a meagre 55km/h on a bit of oil and the start of a downpour. Went over a median strip and a kerb. Didn't write that off either. I got rid of it within about 8 months for this one as it didn't feel right. Probably partly too because I had lost all confidence in it as I was basically a passenger. there was nothing I could do to stop that spin. Not saying it was rubbish afterwards, I just didn't trust it anymore.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
The repairer who did the quote won't even bother trying to push it for a write off. They generally don't get paid for doing the quote so they won't want to have wasted their time on it. Sucks balls I know, I've been on the same situation.. just make sure you get a decent smash repairer.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
The smash repairer gave me an estimated quote before the assessor looked at it so i could tell if something fishy was going on. The assessor phoned me the next day with his observations and both reports of te damage are near identical. I did have the car taken to one of Adelaide's most reputable crash repairers and went down there today for a look around. With the boot emptied it doesn't look as bad as i thought but they are cutting out the rear subframe and welding in a new one. The owner mentioned that these are usually spot welded in place and they have seen a broken one previously from towing and that mine should be stronger as it will be fully welded.

I also insure with the RAA and as the damage was over 10K inspections by RAA Engineers are carried out at all stages of the repairs and a final inspection afterwards. The repairer mentioned that RAA are the toughest insurer around who won't let repairs be done of substandard quality and hence all the continous inspections.

I am not happy it wasn't written off but what does one do? I tried to force them to write it off but no such luck, in the meantime the guy who caused the crash gets his payout for a written off vehicle and i loose money. Again, it's a case of the guilty party winning in the end.

TZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Mate, that's wasn't anywhere near a write off. I put my new VX thru a brick wall at speed and it looked like a crumpled banana after. They repaired that yet I thought it was a definite write off (repair cost $11k back in 2001). Blokes that did the job said they put 'em back together with better tolerances than the factory. I did a 100,000km afterwards and never noticed any difference or had any problems.

But yeah, if you're worried, don't lose sleep over it and give it the flick.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I am not happy it wasn't written off but what does one do? I tried to force them to write it off but no such luck, in the meantime the guy who caused the crash gets his payout for a written off vehicle and i loose money. Again, it's a case of the guilty party winning in the end.

I feel for you mate, but least you and kiddies werent in the Telstar being hit by a VE. The main thing is your car is getting fixed and that you and kids are ok. Good to hear that repairer sounds like he knows what he's doing... see how things are when car comes back. (id still sell it- but who knows, might be even better than new ;)).