Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Something Screeeeeching!

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Alright, i went for a drive this morning and noticed a couple of key things. The noise slows down as the vehicle slows down. And when i reach high speeds the noise stops, and after i have been driving for a while and the engine is warm it does'nt make the noise, it seems it only happens when its cold???

does it slow down with vehicle speed or engine speed?

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
does it slow down with vehicle speed or engine speed?

Seems to be vehicle speed. I just watched a few youtube vids on shot bearings and im nearly certain thats not the problem, bearings make a grinding/rattling noise, my problem is high pitch squeeling.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Hmmm. I had this bad squeeling when I put my alternator brushes/reglulator in wrong and they were angled and only held in by one screw.

I doubt it would be that.

Does it squeel more or less when you turn the steering wheel? Does it shudder?

Could also be low oil maybe? would explain why the screech disappears when the engine is hot.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Does it squeel more or less when you turn the steering wheel? Does it shudder?

Does'nt make any difference when i turn the steering wheel. But you have just given me a thought, i did notice my steering wheel shuddering quite badly the other day when i got up to around 100km. Maybe it is wheel bearings, so maybe the whining and the shuddering are linked.
Just found this vid on youtube and the guy said the noise turned out to be wheel bearings. The screeching in mine is'nt quite as high pitched as his but the noise is identical. At 0:28 when he slows down the noise slows down, thats what mine does.

YouTube - drivetrain whine???

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
There is a god awful screeching/squeeling sound coming from my VS. I assumed it was the drive belts, but i had them replaced just last week. The screeching continues and i don't know what it could be, its hard to tell where its coming from, it sort of sounds like it is coming from the engine bay, but it could be underneath. It only seems to do it when im moving. Its loud and people are looking at me funny when i drive down the street. Please help! Any ideas?

Cheers guys.

You sure its not the missus sitting in the passenger seat?
Mine seems to do it all the time

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr

yeh i realized mine was faulty when i stopped and got out of the car and the noise was still there :(

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM

Good suggestion but i don't think its her, i maintain her pretty well, oiled and nipples greased on a daily basis.
Seriously though its sounding like it could be wheel bearings to me, might have to run back to the mechanic. I just tried to catch the noise on film as i was driving down to subway, and it hardley made a noise!! Unbelievable!!