Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SONAR tyres. Are they crap?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Last time I did a speedo check, it was perfect. Doing 107Km/hr and that was what was recorded and I was using 215/60 at front and 225/60 at rear. If it put my speedo out, it would be very very minor.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I know. Cheers fella ;)

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
firestones have done me well. have cleared 50000km's and looking at pulling at least another 10-20thou. very impressed.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
The blow out problem with Firestones was due to the incorrect tyres being fitted to certain vehicles only. The tyres were coming off the rims when fast cornering was attempted and in extreme cases could cause the vehicle to roll. I think it related to Ford 4WDs or were they the ones that kept catching on fire?
Other vehicles correctly using the same tyre suffered no problems at all. Firestone are decent tyres.

Sonar are an OK tyre but that is about it as they are made to a budget. In normal driving they are fine but push the limits a bit and they don't inspire confidence but do remain safe though. As for wear, I couldn't say but cheaper tyres are usually a harder compound meaning longer lasting but less grip.
Sonar are twice as good as the old Dunlop Grand Rally S tyres fitted standard to a lot of Holdens in years past but so are all current tyres.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Thanks guys for the tips about Firestone. Pretender you are right about Firestone tyres. They were a defect for 4WD's in the USA but I have always had I guess a grudge against them ever since I heard the news probably on MSNBC USA and this is going back 5?+ years since I first heard about it, but I am re-assured now. I will look into different options including Firestone. I am sure Bridgestone make Firestone tyres anyway so there it is.

Cheers men :)

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Get the ER30's they are good value for money, they smoke up nicely, and theres gotta be a reason the cops use them

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
I put Sonars SA-603's on the back of my mates spooled 355. Pretty much pointless for going quick, but they survive a spool well, and for $69, who cares if they don't?
Admittedly the front tyres are Pirellis at $200+ each.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i bought sonars all the time on my old car... they lasted about 3 mins before i hit belts :p ^^^ my car was also spooled...