Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

song title / artist not showing after first track using USB

Antikythera

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG Omega
2012 VE LPG Omega

I'm having a weird issue when playing music off USB. two issues actually and they may be related.

the first issue was, only the first 255 songs were playable. I had one folder on my USB drive with a 1000+ songs and only the first 255(ish) seemed to be loaded to be played. my guess is that it is a limit of 8bit storage (256) so I split the songs into different folders with only 255 songs in each folder.

Now I have a second issue where the song title and artist only show for the first random song played and after that it is not displayed.

Any suggestions on workarounds for the second issue?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
2012 VE LPG Omega

I'm having a weird issue when playing music off USB. two issues actually and they may be related.

the first issue was, only the first 255 songs were playable. I had one folder on my USB drive with a 1000+ songs and only the first 255(ish) seemed to be loaded to be played. my guess is that it is a limit of 8bit storage (256) so I split the songs into different folders with only 255 songs in each folder.

Now I have a second issue where the song title and artist only show for the first random song played and after that it is not displayed.

Any suggestions on workarounds for the second issue?
IQ media player problems, its limitation is 255 files per folder, and 255 folders per folder...
You'll have to rearrange your folders.
The other limitation is its very strict on metadata, if it doesn't conform to its 'rules' it won't display properly, or at all.
You could edit the metadata to conform for display purposes, I tried but gave up... I just listen to the music and don't worry what's on the display.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Are you using a maximum 32GB USB stick formatted to FAT32?

As Iomengnr said, the missing title/artist info may be becaus a lack of data due to the ripping/copying method used to create the files.

MP3Tag is a handy little utility which can be used to fix such issues.

Last edited:

Antikythera

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG Omega
Thanks for your input guys.

I just double checked and i'm currently using 215, 215, 215, 172 songs in 4 folders. so i should currently not be over either of the 256 limit. its also a 8GB drive FAT32 format and 5GB used.

i'm pretty sure the meta data is compliant. because the info shows for the first song played no matter what that song is. its only on subsequent song(s) that it doesn't show. in fact I've just downloaded MP3Tag as suggested and fixed all the tags as well. There were perhaps ten !BAD tags found but I fixed them all. Problem still exists.

I was wondering if it is when switching to a new folder. I usually use random-all rather than random-folder. I've just tested that also. Still breaks when using no-random and random-folder as well as random-all.

I noticed switching to radio and then back to USB fixes the tag showing for the current song but as soon as the next song plays it breaks again.

I also noticed the playback stutter when first starting the car (which I had previously noticed but not thought much of) also is when the Meta Data begins to show correctly. ie the song starts to play with no title/artist showing, the song stutters and resumes playback but now title/artist does show.

It should be noted that if i have all the files in the root directory, even though only the first 255 songs will play, each song does always display correct Meta Tag information. I might just use several USB flash drives with 250 songs on each.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Regarding the 'stutter', how old is the car battery?