Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sony Explode

mickaitken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I am in a difficult situation. i have purchased a car with a good head unit. Sony Explode. I have herd really bad stuff about Sony Explode. can it be that bad.!?!?! because im going to buy Sony amp, Sony Sub and Sony Speakers. i dont like running diffferent audio brands. so any feedback from people running sony explodes would be great. thanks heaps
miCk

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I've got a head unit, and 6x9's of sony explod. The H/U i've had for nearly 2 years now, and I've haven't had one problem with it at all. Actually, it's been awesome!

The 6x9's I haven't really had long enough, or used long enough to take notice of the quality, but they seem pretty good.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's stupid to buy all one brand unless you're doing a show car or are sponsored. Sony Xplod head units are OK, some people say the amps are better than Kenwood and Pioneer equivalents, but who really knows for sure. I'd definitely keep away from their speakers and subs though.

Do some THOROUGH research before purchasing anything.

mickaitken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
this is exactly why i asked this question lol. everyone always gives me different answers on it all. so i think im going to go with instinct and sell the head unit to a mate. and buy all pioneer. i think it is just one of them disorders i have, to have the same brand, doesnt feel right otherwise.
Thanks Guys.
miCk

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
The best piece of advice anyone could give you about any brand of car audio gear is listen to it before you buy it. Hunt around until you have someone who has the gear already and listen to it with your own ears.

What sounds good to one person might sound like crap to someone else. It's your car, it's your ears, and it's your money. Get something that you're going to be happy looking at.

All anyone can tell you is their opinion of it, they can't tell you what you'll think of it. I, for one, am not a fan of the sound of the Sony gear, but I have mates who swear by it.

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
well from personal experience with sony's subs ive gota say there good. my old school 2 yr old 900w(300rms) can keep up with my brothers 2 clarions 600ws. but then again it realy comes down to personal preference althou i wont be buying sony im going to be buying kicker but hey thats me. its ur car,

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
Ok, now for starters i was always a Pioneer man. there equipment more than perfect for the money and sound quality is fantasitc. Im a big "car stereo" guy for years now. i luv big subs too. I've also had kenwood,clarion,jvc and Alpine. I personly hate kenwood, to me it sounds cheap,weak and tinny! clarion and jvc put out very good sound on a buget . Alpine is mindblowing if u can afford it. same goes fo rockford fosgate and JL audio.

Now in regards to ur SONY question. Sony have been around for a long long time. they r a JAPANESE compony . They also make top notch home cinema audio gear and were responsable for the gift of the playstaion 1,2 and soon to be 3. My cousins a DJ and has sum old sony floorstanders with 20" woofers in them from like the 80"s or sumthing and they still sound awesome even today in 2006!!

I now have an Xplode headunit in my Calais. its only got stock speakers till weekend but it still sounds great. I will be geting matching Xplode speakers front and rear for sure seeing as sony desgined them too match the headunits EQ3 and DSO outputs!!!
I have no doubts when it come to sony gear....

my 2 cents...

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
sony xplod gear isnt made by sony, the name is lesed to another company so they can use the name 'sony' on their stuff

XCITE6

VT SS GEN3 6spd
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss Gen3 6spd
I have 2x 12inch sony xplode subs, and i love them!! they pump out a great sound, and i have had them for a few years and no problems.. but i advice to get a decent amp to run the babies.. i wouldnt go for a sony xplode amp..

i have a jvc deck and speakers, so you dont have to have matching stuff.. its just what you prefer..