Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sony head unit installation VT

jimmy_bob

not another hillbilly
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
This is the first time i have worked on my car and am quite the newbie!
i have just brought a Sony head unit (CDX-GT570) and when i pulled the stock one out the connectors are different. Could someone please tell me what i am suppossed to do. Am i suppossed to strip the wires and solder them or is there a converter harness i can get.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Welcome to the forum Jimmy.

Heres a wiring diagram I made a while back, It should give you an idea of the standard Holden wire colours.

Not sure if this will help you 100% but im sure if you search the "electrical & wiring" section from the main page you may find some more help.
Your head unit should have come with its own wiring loom which you will need to connect to the factory wires.

VTWiringDiagram.jpg

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You have two options here;

Option #1 - Go to a place that sells car audio stuff (like JB Hi Fi, Autobarn, Strathfield etc) and buy an adaptor harness that plugs straight into the standard VT stereo plug, you can either get one that plugs into the Sony head-unit or one with bare wires, which will match the colours of the Sony wiring and you'll just have to join the two together)

Option #2 - Read the "VK-VZ stereo wiring colours" thread, it will tell you what wire in the standard loom is what, then you have to strip back the wires behind the plug (without breaking the wire) and solder/tape up each join individually. When youve done that just tape the whole lot up into one neat loom.

Any questions....as always just ask ;)

jimmy_bob

not another hillbilly
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
Thanks. I think iv got it sorted out with the connections...except one.
On the stock head unit there is a connection to the antenna, a connection to the up antenna and a connection to the down antenna. The new head unit has only a connection to the antenna (which connects to the antenna!), and an "ANT REM". Do the Up/Down wires just not connect to anything and do i connect anything to the "ANT REM" on the new head unit?
Thanks heaps

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
The white wire is for up/down on the antenna. The other one may be a constant 12v for the antenna power.
You can connect the white wire to the sony remote wire for the antenna.
You can also use the remote wire for things like amps ect... The remote wire is only a signal to send power to whatever needs it.
The power antenna on the car has 2 positives, white and red. the white positive is the remote wire and the red is the constant 12v power supply.

jimmy_bob

not another hillbilly
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
I've got a Haynes repair manual for Vt-Vy and it has a "typical audio system wiring" diagram. it says that the white wire is ANT down, the Light blue is ANT up???? There is also the Radio On which is Yellow/Red. Does that mean the Red/White wire (Radio On) connects up to the ANT REM on the new head unit (and the ANT down and ANT up not connect)?

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
easy way to tell is there should be 3 wires on the antenna.
white (remote)
black (ground)
red (constant 12v)

remove the kickpanel from the passenger side and unhook the ecu. you should see 3 wires not 4, coming from the antenna. If there are 4 wires then you might have a problem.

easier way is to jack the front passenger side up and unscrew the plastic gaurd protector, you can see the antenna wires from inside the gaurd

jimmy_bob

not another hillbilly
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
Thanks for all the help. got the system in and it works perfectly. Now my car is just the way i want it... oh wait the radiators just gone!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Just for future reference, those people that have the aerials with up AND down connections i have a mod available so you can use the single antenna wire from a head unit.

Also works well if you have an aftermarket electric aerial but your vehicle doesn't have antenna turn on from the head unit (only two buttons in the car for up and down).