Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sony Head Unit, Sub not working

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
Hey all,
I have recently brought a Sony Xplod 250W amp (yes i know sony amps arnt the best but i got it for 30 bucks lol) and have connected it to my Sony DVD XAV-W1 Media centre, however i cant seem to get a signal from the "AMP OUT" of the head unit, have tried restarting the unit heaps of times, and have checked all power connections to the amp, and to the unit, but still nothing, have had the sub connected to my home theatre and it works fine,
Any thoughts/ideas as to the lack of signal to the amp/sub ????
Thanks in advance,
Cam

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
So the amp itself is powering on fine? Also off topic, but most home audio receiver's run at 8ohm, your car sub is designed to run at 4ohm, meaning you can cause serious damage to both pieces of equipment...

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Maybe something in the settings (i.e. subwoofer on/off)?

Also, have you tried connecting it to another RCA preout of the head-unit?

As commodorevp said, the amp is turning on ok?

What about the filter settings on the amp, do you have the LPF on and set to around 80hz, might have the HPF on and this cuts all low level sound from going to your speakers / sub (ideal for full range speakers).

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
thanks for all the replies, the head unit is powering on fine as is the amp, i connected a 12V LED to the "REM OUT" of the amp, and have also run the multimeter over the connections, and all seem fine, there is no signal running to the amp, have even tried directly connecting the amp to the rear speaker channels but to no avail, im thinking it has to be something to do with the coax connections on the back of the head unit.
Also thanks for the info on the audio receiver, will be sure never to do that again.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
..Are the rca's your using to connect the sub new? There could be a fault with one of them,which would therefore send no signal, if you have another amp already, try swapping the rca's around with them and see if they are the problem..were you running any speakers off the Head Unit before,and they worked fine? were they disconneted properly? If their wiring is still loose behind the head unit, and they touch one another they can cancel all sound out