Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soon-to-be VK owner (Hopefully!)

hybridkore

Reaction score
Members Ride
current: Nissan Sivia S13 Q-Series
Hey everyone, name's Jake, I currently own a Nissan S13 Silvia but i'm selling it very soon and have had my eye on a few VK & VL Commodores over the past few days, and I am wondering what the costs are like to maintain say, for example, a 1984 VK SL with a straight 6 3.3L Auto. As in, how are these cars priced parts wised?

My mate got me into these babys shortly after I got my Silvia as he used to own a VK with heaps of power (Wouldn't know the specs, but it threw you back when he planted it) and I thought man these cars are true muscle machines, but I was stuck with my Silvia and no cash, and being on my P's I have to kind of take what I can get for now. But as I found out, my Sil was a p.o.s and thus i'm selling it haha, and hopefully I can fund a VK or VL. Only reason i'm asking a question about the pricing is i've never owned a Holden (My last car before the s13 was a Honda Accord) and everyone tells me Holden parts are cheap, being in Australia and all, but is it the same for VK's or do you really have to put in the sweat and tears to make a VK or VL of over 20 years driveable? I don't need to make anything show worthy at this stage, would just love to be able to buy one knowing if (insert part here) dies, I can buy a replacement for cheaper than maybe a newer commodore part or a 2001 model (Hate the look of the new ones anyway).

It's just that I own a 1983 Mazda b2000 ute as a project which i'm going to sell soon too, and that thing is ridiculously hard to find parts for being so old and all.

Sorry if I seem a noob or whatever, but I want to get away from the import scene and get into my true passion which is for muscle, and what better way than a good ol' aussie muscle car!

Cheers peeps

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
The early Commodores are great cars, a true Aussie classic. The best are the VB - VH IMO, before all the plastic trims kicked in.... Anyways these cars are certainly not without their problems and are relativley unrefined, but that's probably why we love them! Holden no longer stock most parts, except for some engine items that progressed through the models e.g fuel pumps for the V8's etc, but fortunately there were many of these cars made so sourcing good used parts is seldom a problem. However as time ticks by they are becoming a little harder to find. You often see 'New Old Stock' (NOS) parts on ebay which is always good to get your hands on a genuine new Holden part, you just have to be patient. As for price - probably a lot cheaper than a Nissan import! I don't think they are expensive but expense is relative to your means... used parts are fairly cheap IMO.

If you do decide to delve into the world of early model Commodores, do yourself a favour and pick a low klm one, no rust and in good nick - a one owner perhaps - it will be a really good base to start from. If you are no longer on your P's go for a V8.

All the best with it.

Derek

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
^^ yeah what he said.

MOST important, check the back windscreen for rust by sticking your head in the boot and looking up at the parcel shelf, then if thats all good, check the front windscreen scuttle panel for rust. (under the plastic cover) if either of those two spots have broken out, dont buy it. doors/guards/boot and bonnets can easily be replaced, but 1/4's and A pillars is a different story.

and parts are dirt cheap as long as you dont want NOS. fuel filters are about 15 bucks, oil filters the same air filters 20ish. cos so many of these cars were made, there are ample still in wrecking yards so its easy pickins'

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
**Thread Hijack**

Arri666, is that a picture of your Imapala for your avatar? If so, that looks VERY COOL mate! Nice one.