Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sorry, yet another exhaust/catback question

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
wigbilly, if your in sydney, we can do a meet and u can test drive my car.

running Xforce 1 7/8 headers, hi flow cats, 2.5" cat back with Varex mufflers.

when i had the cat back and no headers, the sound was deep with no drone in cabin.
changed the headers to the Xforce, and not as deep anympre, still no drone, but the engine note is more raspier and crisp, more free flowing and more agressive.

i've heard that getting a 3" mid pipe will increase drone no matter what maker, when i mean drone, i mean a slightly more deeper note/vibration which transfers to the cabin. this note may differ from brand to brand but with my setup, i'm confident you'll love it.

gimmie a pm if u are in sydney :)

-Geoff

P.S - i ain't a dealer or a exhaust shop dude..lol...

thanks geoff for offer but i western victoria and far from anyone! but thanks..I reckon your system being with headers and cats may be a much better sound than the cat back only well ever be..my beef is 2.5k for a cat back that wont give you any more power and maybe a little deeper note is a shed load of dollar for not a lot of gain..

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The main reason why the 3 inch system is seen as overkill on an otherwise stock car is that it is borderline too big for the flow of gasses coming from the motor and can give you a big of a hollow note. If you do plan on cams and such then the 3 inch is obviously needed, otherwise not so much. You won't lose any power but keeping the system at 2.5 you can actually gain a little more with a 2.5 as the gasses stay hotter and can therefore flow faster. There really isn't that much in it but you might find you get a fuller sounding note from the 2.5 if you're not doing anything else.

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
The main reason why the 3 inch system is seen as overkill on an otherwise stock car is that it is borderline too big for the flow of gasses coming from the motor and can give you a big of a hollow note. If you do plan on cams and such then the 3 inch is obviously needed, otherwise not so much. You won't lose any power but keeping the system at 2.5 you can actually gain a little more with a 2.5 as the gasses stay hotter and can therefore flow faster. There really isn't that much in it but you might find you get a fuller sounding note from the 2.5 if you're not doing anything else.

decisions decisions, as soon as you think you have made your mind up then its changed again! perhaps i have been incorrectly informed but i was told the 3" would be deeper sound, after all thats all i want is the sound as wont get any power increase, so a $2500 catback must be one of the most financial uneconomical moves you can make on a car, al you really gain is a bit more noise!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
decisions decisions, as soon as you think you have made your mind up then its changed again! perhaps i have been incorrectly informed but i was told the 3" would be deeper sound, after all thats all i want is the sound as wont get any power increase, so a $2500 catback must be one of the most financial uneconomical moves you can make on a car, al you really gain is a bit more noise!

Well, yes and no. It's a lot of money for FA performance increase. However, it is the defining factor (outside of colour) for your car's personality - so in that respect, it's not bad!

The 3 inch will be deeper - not arguments there - but may not sound as full as the smaller system. Hard to explain, really, what I mean by a 'full' sound. Think of it like listening to Audioslave through your Nan's clock radio. That's what I'd call hollow. So whilst it will be deeper than the 2.5 it might not have as much meat on it's bones. Having said that, with a KPM system, I can't see it being much of an issue - they're always good! So don't stress too much. Just might not have as much variation in tone or crackle on the overrun is all.

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
thank you tinsnips-good advice and i can picture the example you used..its going in end of next week to chevs - i just have to decide on size. thanks though a great example of how to in laymans terms describe the differneces!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
thank you tinsnips-good advice and i can picture the example you used..its going in end of next week to chevs - i just have to decide on size. thanks though a great example of how to in laymans terms describe the differneces!

No dramas, mate - if you're lucky Chev's will have one of each there that you can hear. From everything I've heard, they're an excellent workshop, so they won't screw you over. Plenty of people swear by them.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG

Lucky i'm in adelaide and went to KPM and heard a full 3" and 2 1/2" system the 3" sounds better and has a nice burble at cruise where the 2 1/2 heard when the foot is put down, for a ute i'd go the 3" deeper sound(well i just did) I did have a 3" X force catback at begining and as a catback for the $$$$ it was great but with engine mods to loud never had any drone with it either.

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
Lucky i'm in adelaide and went to KPM and heard a full 3" and 2 1/2" system the 3" sounds better and has a nice burble at cruise where the 2 1/2 heard when the foot is put down, for a ute i'd go the 3" deeper sound(well i just did) I did have a 3" X force catback at begining and as a catback for the $$$$ it was great but with engine mods to loud never had any drone with it either.

thats probably the case when you talking a full system hence my question was with regards only to catbacks as a full kpm would cost me a weeks wages:rofl2:

kerryss07

kerryh
Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
trust me mate, if you are going to spend 2500k you are better off getting a full exhaust system with headers and hiflo cats. catback system will always produce a small drone and a hollow sound compared to full system no matter what brand.

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
trust me mate, if you are going to spend 2500k you are better off getting a full exhaust system with headers and hiflo cats. catback system will always produce a small drone and a hollow sound compared to full system no matter what brand.

Ok now I really confused. U say a full system. With $2500 I can get a kpm cat back or perhaps a full xforce. Given choice what would it be. In fact that question probably been asked many times!