Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound of OTR compared to Pod box CAI

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Hey guys , I recently scored a bargain off ebay. My car is still under warranty of another 3 years and I'm only aloud walkinshaw, Im okay with that.

I got a walkinshaw "pod box style CAI". I'm VERY impressed with the sound difference! I couldn't believe it. For some reason in my opionion it sounds ALOT louder than my mates OTR style intake. Im guessing its forced to suck air from such a scheluded area near the headlight rather than having such a wide differnece from straight over the radioator.

Walkinshaw and a exhaust shop quoted me a $100 difference between the two.

Pod filter setup = $650.
OTR walkinshaw setup = $750.

I scored my pod box for $200. And installed myself. Bargain if you ask me and I'm very impressed.

Both stores also told me that there is only a 2-3rkw difference!!. Unnoticeble really. Can anyone confirm this!? as I've heard this twice now. And like I said before im very impressed with the sound of the pod box type compared to OTR CAI.

Attachments

• hbushv8s056.jpg
    hbushv8s056.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,641

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
And like I said before im very impressed with the sound of the pod box type compared to OTR CAI.

Until you get an exhaust, then you won't be able to hear the induction noise.

As for only having walkinshaw under warranty, holden will tell you that coz they're in partnership with Walkinshaw performance.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ this is true, the induction system is only as good as the weakest link, other mods will make it really roar.
Walkinshaw offers a full exhaust and tune yet still be under warranty. BTW I never had a problem with similar non-Walky mods under Holden warranty.
I have had an OTR for a while and found it excellent both on the dyno and open road, but heat soak is not ideal in sub tropical traffic daily around town.
A lot of the difference between the two is not actually flow restriction but due to the relocation of the intake air sensor to a slightly volatile position directly behind a high point in the bay behind the radiator - that means more cool when moving / more heat in stop start.
Worsened in my case as I went for SD (mafless) tune which is more reliant on temps to calculate correct air flow and density, so performance wanders more than I like in day long driving.
The upshot is I am looking to return to an airbox; either RotoFab or Walky or HSV BiModal in the OEM location then tune with larger MAF card and housing.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
^^ this is true, the induction system is only as good as the weakest link, other mods will make it really roar.
Walkinshaw offers a full exhaust and tune yet still be under warranty. BTW I never had a problem with similar non-Walky mods under Holden warranty.
I have had an OTR for a while and found it excellent both on the dyno and open road, but heat soak is not ideal in sub tropical traffic daily around town.
A lot of the difference between the two is not actually flow restriction but due to the relocation of the intake air sensor to a slightly volatile position directly behind a high point in the bay behind the radiator - that means more cool when moving / more heat in stop start.
Worsened in my case as I went for SD (mafless) tune which is more reliant on temps to calculate correct air flow and density, so performance wanders more than I like in day long driving.
The upshot is I am looking to return to an airbox; either RotoFab or Walky or HSV BiModal in the OEM location then tune with larger MAF card and housing.

Ah i see, Since it is my daily work vechicle and I live within the city I think my option with the pod box was ideal. I can definatley vouch for the walky box (Y). Sounds really good. My exhaust is stock too and it turns head if I give it the boot, I've heard 3 mates tell me my car sounds alot more louder now. I haven't got a tune and can definatley tell the increase in throttle response and power.

Im going with a full sureflow exhaust system, as they have tested different setups with the VEs, They have tried numerous 3" to 2.5 and see the power difference.
They got the best out of 4 > 1 headers, 100CPI 5" wide body cats and dual 3" all the way through.
Here is the dyno sheet if you want to compare like an older type walkinshaw system was was 3 > 2.5 ...

Big difference. Would definatley recommend sureflo exhausts and there through and through testing. And they sound very deep comparing to xforce and barky hurricane exhausts. I can only explain this system as close your going to come to getting the "308 sound".

for around $3000 for this whole system in stainless you cant go wrong IMHO. I'll be getting mine soon.

Video related..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151765324558644&set=vb.177756908903379&type=2&theater

Attachments

• vedyno1.jpg
    vedyno1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 596

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Lol at the dude saying you need an exhaust to hear induction.

How can someone hear the intake over the exhaust? Bahaha

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Lol at the dude saying you need an exhaust to hear induction.

How can someone hear the intake over the exhaust? Bahaha

If you are referring to post 2 then read it again.......:hmmm:
Until you get an exhaust then you WONT be able to the induction noise.
(meaning, exhaust will be louder than the OTR or CAI)

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
If you are referring to post 2 then read it again.......:hmmm:
Until you get an exhaust then you WONT be able to the induction noise.
(meaning, exhaust will be louder than the OTR or CAI)

I stand corrected, serves me right for skim reading! lol

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
get a vcm otr man, looks good, sounds good mine had loud as induction with cam and that ect and has good proven gains

when on the dyno we did a run with the vcm otr on and then took it off (ute still strapped on) and it made 1hp less with it off then on (that's with the supercharger on and 11psi so would be sucking in a fair bit of air)

so they must flow dam well!

Last edited:

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Im going with a full sureflow exhaust system, as they have tested different setups with the VEs, They have tried numerous 3" to 2.5 and see the power difference.
They got the best out of 4 > 1 headers, 100CPI 5" wide body cats and dual 3" all the way through.
Here is the dyno sheet if you want to compare like an older type walkinshaw system was was 3 > 2.5 ...

Big difference. Would definatley recommend sureflo exhausts and there through and through testing. And they sound very deep comparing to xforce and barky hurricane exhausts. I can only explain this system as close your going to come to getting the "308 sound".

for around $3000 for this whole system in stainless you cant go wrong IMHO. I'll be getting mine soon.

Video related..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151765324558644&set=vb.177756908903379&type=2&theater

I would advise you against getting a sureflo catback. I bought one because they said they were straight bolt on, and they're not. i had a massive amount of drama getting it to bolt up to there headers and cats, i finally got it fitted up. I drove it for ~500km and went to get a tune only to find the exhaust has heated up[which is normal] and has twisted/warped and now hits the trans tunnel, mechanic told me it'd cost around $600 to fix. Had it replaced with a HM catback, which i can't fault.

Rang sureflo, they didn't want a bar of it and wouldn't refund my money or anything. i even sent them photos and rang them again, then they wanted me to send it to them at my cost[kidding right] i then sold it for. No fkn chance will i ever deal with them again and i advise others to do the same.

Last edited: