Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound Proofing Exhaust Drone

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Number one: DannyBoyDS is not me....

Number two: Exhaust sound waves cause the drone, not anything else. It is the frequency in the pipe that causes it. You have to change something in the exhaust to change the note. Think of a slide trombone, moving the slid changes the note, same thing in principle with the exhaust, change the size or the length and the note changes. You have to find the right combination for your car to eliminate the drone. You can insulate the cab and reduce the amount of drone you cane hear, but you won't change the actual exhaust frequency.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Hi guys,
first of all sorry if I offended anyone with my reply to Not_An_Abba_Fan. My tone and comment was meant to be tongue firmly in cheek! A risk of the written word I fear!

I appreciated the comments and views and have actually delayed doing anything based on the comments provided.

Last week I completed a 2000km tour with 4 adults and the boot so full that not even a matchbox would have fitted. I had also lined the boot and wheel well with blankets as a test.

The drone was a bit quieter with all that padding and luggage in the boot, but was still noticeable.

As I noted before the Walkinshaw mufflers have reduced the rev range of the dron to about 1000 to 1300 revs, so at cruising speeds of 100 to 110 kph it was fine.

Will let you know what I do.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Well, first of all I was told by the dealer who modified the car (a demo) that they had fitted a HiTech cat back exhaust.

In fact, it turned out to be an xForce cat back system. The sound was fantastic, but a small amount of drone right at freeway cruise speed.

I found a 2nd hand pair (almost new) of Walkinshaw rear mufflers which bolted straight on. These are a bit quieter at light throttle and as I have said the drone has reduced and moved to lower revs. They sound great if you give it a squirt!

The xForce mufflers are in my shed.

Cheers.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Doesn"t work!!!!

Ok here is an easy and effective way to reduce that drone noise.
Take out the spare wheel and jack place a thick blanket in boot well and make sure it covers the sides too. Replace jack and spare tyre.

Got this tip from an authorised Walkinshaw outlet.:bang:

Mate did this with his SSV and still droned so he just went back to the original exhuast:cry:, and if you want to cutomize your exhuast just put some AC Cobra side pipes on!:clapping:

Prodrive

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
So you got your car from barry smiths? I'm thinking of getting a 3" sureflo for mine.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hi guys,
first of all sorry if I offended anyone with my reply to Not_An_Abba_Fan. My tone and comment was meant to be tongue firmly in cheek! A risk of the written word I fear!

I appreciated the comments and views and have actually delayed doing anything based on the comments provided.

Last week I completed a 2000km tour with 4 adults and the boot so full that not even a matchbox would have fitted. I had also lined the boot and wheel well with blankets as a test.

The drone was a bit quieter with all that padding and luggage in the boot, but was still noticeable.

As I noted before the Walkinshaw mufflers have reduced the rev range of the dron to about 1000 to 1300 revs, so at cruising speeds of 100 to 110 kph it was fine.

Will let you know what I do.

Wasn't offended, I have the same problem with some of my replies, you can't get the same meaning from a written word as a spoken one.

Does it have hot dog style resonators in the middle pipes? They should be about halfway down, side by side.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
go to a carpet place and buy some thick wading the stuff that goes under the industrial carpet and put that in your boot , it is only 13 dollars a mt and it does make a big difference , the drone does not go away completely but it stops the glove box from vibrating and the other noises that go with the drone if you pay big money for an exhaust system to make it sound like a V8 , the power gains i think out way the benefits of the drone , but elieminating the drone is probably unlikely but give the wading a try , i have done it and i am happy with the results

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
go to a carpet place and buy some thick wading the stuff that goes under the industrial carpet and put that in your boot , it is only 13 dollars a mt and it does make a big difference , the drone does not go away completely but it stops the glove box from vibrating and the other noises that go with the drone if you pay big money for an exhaust system to make it sound like a V8 , the power gains i think out way the benefits of the drone , but elieminating the drone is probably unlikely but give the wading a try , i have done it and i am happy with the results

Do you have any pic's of your mod ? would like to see a few as i am thinking of doing mine...

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
Do you have any pic's of your mod ? would like to see a few as i am thinking of doing mine...

no sorry i did not take any pictures , if you lift up the carpet in the boot it does not have any sound proofing from years ago ,when they would paint that black grey tar stuff in the boot and all the other panels , well now if you lift up your carpet you just see the colour of metal the colour of your car, I have a SSV 60th edition , and if mine did not have any sound proofing . nor has my brothers Calias V , if i get a round to taking some photos i have to learn how to post them on the forum