Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound system help, sound changes in middle of song!

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
hey guys ive got the following system in my car:

Alpine CDA-9884E Headunit
MB Quart Splits
MB Quart 2-ways
Alpine 600w 4CH Amp
Alpine 1000w Monoblock
2x Alpine 12" Type R Subs

when im drivin with the music up nice n loud itll be playin all good no dramas then all of a sudden the sound changes, its kinda difficult to explain its like it loses trebble... or like listening to a low quality mp3... problem is it does it with regular CD's... just bought the new prodigy album n new flo rida album n it does it on both of them... aswell as when im using a thumb drive thru the USB port.

anyone had similar issues?

sound system only went in a few weeks ago by a guy i know whos installed alot of sound systems, i wont see him till wednesday to ask him if he knows wot it is, so i was hopin to get an answer before then.

any help would be appreciated.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Your MB Quart splits probably have tweeter protection in the crossovers. When you run the speakers too hard, this basically fades the tweeter down or turns it off completely. If this was the case you'd just hear the woofers and no treble.

Does your problem only affect the front splits or do the 2-ways in the rear do it as well?

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Your MB Quart splits probably have tweeter protection in the crossovers. When you run the speakers too hard, this basically fades the tweeter down or turns it off completely. If this was the case you'd just hear the woofers and no treble.

Does your problem only affect the front splits or do the 2-ways in the rear do it as well?

ah okay

will have a listen in the back this arvo as ive only experienced it whilst being in the drivers seat... but you sound like ur on to something there.

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive

happened again today while i was driving and the tweeters didnt look or feel like they were working at all so i think ur rite.. if it is a crossover issue, what could i do to solve this... please tell me the answer isnt just dont put it up as loud lol.

edwardos11

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 2
hey dude. kinda had the same problem with my sound system. iv got a jenson head unit with fusion 6 inches and earth quake 700w 6x9's with a jenson 900w mono block and a 500w 4 channel.
in the middle of songs its like my tweeters drop out but the main cones still work on the speakers and it gives a real muffled sound with no treble like u said.
iv found it usually happens when i turn up volume really loud. i have no idea what it is though sorry. was thinking it might be a cut out built into my amp or speakers to protect the speakers when there overloaded.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, you're overpowering the tweeters. The crossover is turning them off so you don't kill them. Turn it down or get louder splits.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Could also try turning down the treble settings in your head-unit, or even fading a little bit to the rear (just enough to stop the protection kicking in).

Either that or do what StoneX said....by louder splits ;)

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Could also try turning down the treble settings in your head-unit, or even fading a little bit to the rear (just enough to stop the protection kicking in).

Either that or do what StoneX said....by louder splits ;)

gonna try fading to the rear... just paid $2600 for the gear alone... now im actually pretty pissed off that i cant get it to go as loud as i want it to lol.

thanks everyone for your help!

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
I have the same speakers that you have in my vy(I know, they're expensive), and i'd guess a way to fix it would be to adjust the frequency crossover for the front amp channel. I'm no expert on audio but i'll give this a go. Set it so the front speakers doesnt recieve such a low frequency. i know a sub will not be too happy playing over *say* 60hz or so. Maybe if you cut out some of the lower ferquency's out of the front, the tweeters wont be overcome by the bass they arent' designed for??
Or turn down the front gain abit?
i know how frustraited you must feel, so everythings worth a try

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's the treble that is the problem, not the bass. The crossover already only allows treble to the tweeters, it's just that the amount of power going to the tweeters is causing them to shut down.