Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound System help. Will I overload my amp?

taylooor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey guys,

I have an Alpine sound system set up consisting of a 12" Type S sub, a MRP-M450 Mono amp, a MRP-F450 4 channel amp, two 6x9's in the parcel shelf and front door splits.

Im looking at adding another sub to the equation but not sure if I will consequently end up overloading my amp, cause its clearly not worth that.

The mono amp is just powering the sub and nothing else.
Whereas the 4 channel amp is powering the 6x9's and the rest of the speakers.

If I was to connect another sub (which the one I have at the moment is temporary, 12" Pioneer), which amp should I connect it to, or would it be too risky?

Thanks guys!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I wouldn't suggest mixing different subs though it may be possible. What is the configuration of your Type-S sub and your second Pioneer sub? Please provide the model numbers of both.

If they are both single 4ohm voice coils you could wire them as shown here:
2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

I really wouldn't recommend it though, both will be underpowered and you already have a 12" sub and 6x9" speakers.. Why do you want another sub in there?

taylooor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I wouldn't suggest mixing different subs though it may be possible. What is the configuration of your Type-S sub and your second Pioneer sub? Please provide the model numbers of both.

If they are both single 4ohm voice coils you could wire them as shown here:
2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

I really wouldn't recommend it though, both will be underpowered and you already have a 12" sub and 6x9" speakers.. Why do you want another sub in there?

Alpine Sub is SWS-1223D

Pioneer sub is TS-W301R

The Pioneer sub is 4 ohm voice coiled, but unsure about the alpine sub.

I wired them like that yesterday to give it a test run and they both worked, but have since taken the Pioneer sub back off.
Im looking for an Alpine Type S sub at the moment cause I knew it wasn't ideal having different types of subs.