Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound system help

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
so did you use splitters (one plug into two) with your old stereo?

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
so did you use splitters (one plug into two) with your old stereo?

I'm not quite sure as when i got my system put in i paid autobarn to do it, my old stereo was 4 channel though so it wouldn't need the splitters as both rca cables (4 ends) went straight into the 4 ports that they go in- by the looks of the back of the pioneer head unit.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
yep so your old one had a place to plug in each rca plug
and now you have to ADD plugs to the back of your stereo cause there isnt enough right?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
okay so thats why you have lost volume...

"if you have a a battery going to one bulb its brighter than going to two bulbs
because the bulbs share the power"

so you have half the power supplying the same bulbs get it?
and due to less power supply you have less control over the ones that went to the sub
so you have a speaker (normal) signal going to the sub instead of a sub signal designed for better bass.....

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
okay so thats why you have lost volume...

"if you have a a battery going to one bulb its brighter than going to two bulbs
because the bulbs share the power"

so you have half the power supplying the same bulbs get it?
and due to less power supply you have less control over the ones that went to the sub
so you have a speaker (normal) signal going to the sub instead of a sub signal designed for better bass.....
Ah i get it all now, i should have got help before i wasted money on it, i'll be chucking in my old stereo tomorrow :/ ,
Massive thanks for all your help mate, appreciate it heaps. Cheers :)

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
okay man good luck and no dramas the whole point of this colaboration of holden guys is so you can learn off eachother~!

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
clearly db_notso has no clue whatsoever, and its really quite sad that this thread has gone on for so long without anyone providing correct information!

what amplifier are you running?

you should simply be able to increase the gain on the channels that are running the sub so the setup will sound pretty much how it did with the old headunit.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
hes already got it turned up on each amp channel and adjusted stereo settings but not the same as his old stereo....
(he said up there and set for the sub at hz he wanted(from amp) as was proffesionally installed)

because his old stereo had a seperate subout plug wich gives a dedicated sub signal set by hertz from the stereo to cut out other noise and reduce signal loss of the lower frequencies giving a cleaner louder output from the amp

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
AmmoJammo is correct. RCA's are not as important as you make them out to be. Now granted having the RCA split now means no separate sub control (in regards to specific frequencies etc.) HOWEVER this can easily be accommodated by adjusting the amplifier and setting the sub to low frequency and the speakers to high frequency. Don't forget there are different equalizer modes between different head units which could also be a contributing factor. Now in saying all this you perhaps should of done some research first and spent a little more and gotten a better head unit with the for 2 RCA out's. Out of pure curiosity what brand is the head unit? db_notso I wish I could give you a serving but I don't feel like getting an infraction again...