Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound system questions..

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
hey guys... i have a VT commodore and am wanting to put some good speakers into it... but i am not 100% sure on what i want.
I deffinetly want to put splits in the front coz i frof for tweeters :yeah:
I dont know weather to replace the speakers in the back door or get 6X9s put in the parcel shelf or both!! but i also want to get a sub an i have been told that it is stupid to put 6X9s and a sub in your car.... i will be gettin a pro to fit it as well.

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Ohh and also, i was thinkig of going with a brands like kicker and clarion. just to be diffrent :)

BOOTSTRAP.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S 3.8 L
who ever told you it would be stupid to run 6x9's and a sub, is bang on
6x9's will give you a slight bass if thats what your looking for but as soon as the cars in motion you'll loose it
better off to get a sub as the bass will still be noticeable while your moving
no point in having both as theyre air movement (that carries the sound) will pretty much counteract each other
best bet is what ive done with mine and take out the 6x9 holes in my parcel shelf covered them with factory mesh plating so the sound from the amp in my boot comes through
as for splits try checking out boston speakers

Mystro1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
6x9's wont "loose" base as you drive away if their installed correctly, that will happen to any thing including the sub if not installed right. and it dosnt dissapare more be drowned out by roadnoise and vibrations interfearing with the speakers,

however IMO 6x9's tend to sound rather average no matter what brand... They have their place but if your installing a sub then they are not necessary, Generaly i would advise a good set of splits in the front, good set of splits or 2ways (2ways are normaly fine for the rear) in the back and a good sub with quality amps...

When it comes to the brand, dont pick something cause you have heard of it before. Go and get the shop to let you hear them first. My preference is Morel and MBQuat, my best friend prefers his Alpine tyre R's, my prefered sub is an Xtant hex, (however im running at 8" rockford fosgate in my MX5 and thats quite nice to) so go and have a listen and choose what you like.

Cheers.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Too many brand names being thrown around i think. Brand means nothing overall. My current set up consist's of 7 different brands.Each component being chosen based on it's price and performance.

People who rant on about how they have a full (insert brand) setup are the type of people you see walking around dressed from top to bottom in Nike or Adiddas

Mystro1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Too many brand names being thrown around i think. Brand means nothing overall. My current set up consist's of 7 different brands.Each component being chosen based on it's price and performance.

People who rant on about how they have a full (insert brand) setup are the type of people you see walking around dressed from top to bottom in Nike or Adiddas

Correct.. i couldnt sum it up any better myself.

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
hey thanx for the replies blokes. very appreciated.

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
So the best bet would go splits front and rear with a good quality sub in the boot and just amp the whole lot then...

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Splits arent really nessacary in the rear unless your really concerned about the listening of your rear passengers. I'd just put some baisc coaxial's in the factory holes, or even retain the factory speakers. If you keep your stock rears, this will also cut down your purchase and instalation cost, leaving you more to spend on your front stage. If your adding a sub, then it's not really nessacary to amplify your rear fill speakers, simply run them off your head unit..