Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sounds like a gurgling sound when vehicle is switched off...2008 VE Holden Commodore

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
I pulled up at a house for 3 mins had car idling, noticed strange sound coming from engine like: something loose or rattling. Not quite sure, a sound that wasn't there before, kinda sounded like a failing fan maybe IDK. Then later that night I drove my car from my sisters place to mine, which is about a 2-3 minute drive not far at all. Before driving home, car was sitting for a good 2 hrs then I drove home. When I got home and switched the car off, it's like I heard gurgling sounds then and that usual rattling sound with it not loud loud but noticeable, it really to me sounded like water was boiling. Didn't think to check temp at the time, but which I will do tomorrow. Also to mention about 3 weeks ago I had the car idling while I dropped into some place, as I pulled into my driveway going home for some reason it sounded as if a fan was working pretty hard but passed it as nothing.

Note: I have previously had my car checked twice for why my air con suddenly cuts out after 15-20 mins when on. It stops being cold, by then blowing barely any air through vents. I had 1 mechanic replace evaporator for air con, gas has been topped up no leak. Took car failed again, car went in 2nd time, mechanic can't make air play up, now car going in 3rd time to have car 4 couple of days. Air con has been under warranty. I decided to get second opinion from an actual Auto Electrician about air con problem even after replaced evaporator, he said it sound like the fan is struggling. But don't know which fan his talking about. I'm hoping this one problem is all linked rather then 2 different problems.
1. Gurgling water like sound when engine stop
2. Air con just keeps stopping being cold
Driving me crazy is what... suggestions PLS? Somethings I could check?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Cooling System pressure cap failing can cause the boiling after shutdown issue.

Aircon may possibly shut off if engine getting to hot but I'm not familiar with the VE tuning so can't be certain.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like radiator cap to me too. Get a new one from Holden dealer not a parts store.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should I just replace the Radiator Cap only or the Coolant reservoir cap too?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just radiator cap, that's the only one that holds pressure. The one on top of the engine.
The yellow one behind the headlight doesn't really do anything except keep dust out.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just radiator cap, that's the only one that holds pressure. The one on top of the engine.
The yellow one behind the headlight doesn't really do anything except keep dust out.

Is there anyway of knowing just looking at my radiator cap that it's a bad one?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not by looking, but you can feel if your cap is holding pressure by squeezing the top radiator hose when the engine is warmed up or after a drive. The hose should be firm like squeezing a new tennis ball.
If the hose is always soft then your cap isn't working.
Another clue is if the reservoir is over full. That bubbling noise often happens when the coolant gets pushed out the overflow hose into the reservoir when the cap fails.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not by looking, but you can feel if your cap is holding pressure by squeezing the top radiator hose when the engine is warmed up or after a drive. The hose should be firm like squeezing a new tennis ball.
If the hose is always soft then your cap isn't working.
Another clue is if the reservoir is over full. That bubbling noise often happens when the coolant gets pushed out the overflow hose into the reservoir when the cap fails.

Thanks , changed the Radiator Cap and it's worked, I'm glad. Plus for some reason my Air Con has stayed cold as well not switching off like previously.