Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soundstream cap drawing .5amp

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Why bother with a cap. They are useless.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
^^^clearly an expert.
Yes to the OP, wire a relay to the caps and run the coil of the remote for your stereo.

Caps reduce the voltage drop that causes your lights to dim when that phat bass drops

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
^^^clearly an expert.
Yes to the OP, wire a relay to the caps and run the coil of the remote for your stereo.

Caps reduce the voltage drop that causes your lights to dim when that phat bass drops

I was a car audio installer so um righto champ. Caps are the biggest waste of money. I have not once ever used one in any car install I have ever done. You only get lights dimming if the electrical system isn't up to the task. Caps are a bandaid fix and nothing more.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I have just bought 2 soundstream caps one for me and one for my mate and they both draw .5 of a amp when car off and that results in dead battery after sitting for 2 days. Any idea what to do? Anyway to hook a relay up to it?
Are the capacitors turning off? Some capacitors have remote turn on connection which should only have power to it when the stereo is on.

How do you have them wired?

Disregard the waste of space replies that didn't address your question :thumbsup:

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
A capacitor stores voltage and then releases it into the electrical system when the system voltage falls below a certain threshold.
If your running big amps and subs when the bass fires it draws a lot of power and lowers the voltage temporarily resulting in a light dimming effect.

So wraith your saying all the SPL shoot out guys with 20k systems are all wrong?

Correct in saying a cap in a standard car system is pretty useless however as the OP didn't exactly specify his system who knows if a cap is truly required.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
As I said before if the cap doesn't have an internal relay mechanism than you will need a power relay in between the cap and the battery.
Run the coil of the relay to an ignition source.

The reason it's flattening your battery is that a capacitor is a technically a load on the system.
What farad cap is it, if you give me the details I can work out if its shagged as I work on power factor correction systems that utilise capacitors in order to achieve a power factor closer to unity so yeah I kind of know what I'm talking about...

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Rip it out, that'll stop the battery going flat.
Have you done the big three upgrade? Have you looked at upgrading the alternator? Are you using a deep cycle battery ie: Optima?

What sort of gear are you running, and what sized cabling are you using?

We need a little more information before we can really help you out. A cap is a cheap way that almost never solves the power drain issue most people have.
As for sending the battery flat, it could be faulty, but I've know far too many mates who wanted a large system and cheaped out on the cable and battery. Resulting in the same issue your having.