Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soundstream cap drawing .5amp

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Big SPL guys don't use caps, hence why they are useless. They rely on Battery's.
a cap can still be utilized on a battery

I compete and learn from others here in WA. I also learn from other peoples builds on MEA (Mobile Electronics AU). Why would you want a cap, it draws even more power from the system to charge it, especially for SPL which is like a 15second burp. You would be better with a 100a/h+ battery with like 1000cca.
Thats nice, im on MEA as well

What community is that?
From my electrical knowledge (electronics technician) I can see that a capacitor will REDUCE dimming headlights in a running car with music, but definitely not do anything useful in a SPL car that would use a constant tone (constant current draw) with the car off (no charging).

A smart response with some actual merit, yes your correct for a constant tone/constant current draw your correct the cap wont do anything useful however is the OP doing an SPL shootout....probably not..

Capacitors don't store voltage, it stores energy, eg. farads/joules/etc.
according to the ohms law your wrong! i didnt need the below picture to prove it but obviously its something that you can get some help from.
FormulaWheelElectronics.gif

the community that knows what they're doing, vs the one that doesn't?
The IASCA? yeah what would an international community know....

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
My reasoning behind this argument is obviously different to the idiotic notions that some of the people on here are using but thats understandable as not everyone knows the subject matter.
Instead of giving you the electrical terms ill try to keep this simple to help my mate above understand

The use of a capacitor in a car audio circuit/system is to smooth out the DC power.
The below picture is how a capacitor affects an AC sine wave

DC-filtering-function-smoothes-voltage-wave-form.jpg

This next picture is what a DC voltage would look like
ScopeDC.gif

Note how its nice and straight indicating there is no voltage change

this is what DC voltage would look like in a car audio system that is not charging presuming that the system is cranking hard, note how the voltage is still somewhat straight however dips down and the back up
original.jpg

Now if you think about it, the capacitor is storing energy during the flat periods to compensate for when the voltage dips down this is going to result in a much more linear delivery of power to your system.

As stated above this is a fix of sorts and the big 3 need to be addressed first.
I'm not saying that a capacitor is right for every system but i am not wrong in regards to the theory, if you think i am than perhaps you should actually prove me wrong with some technical data

regards

Last edited:

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
your link is assuming that you're running insufficient sized power cable... of course, if you're an idiot you might be.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Your correct, there are way to many variables, i am not disagreeing with you mate
At the end of the day it is correct to say that a properly designed system shouldn't need a cap however they do have a place.

My thought was that the best way to connect a cap into a car would be in reverse eg; have the battery connected straight to the amp and then have the cap between the battery and the electrical system of the car (lights etc..) as this would prevent the lights from dimming without limiting the amplifier in any way shape or form.

If you do a search the community is divided with this topic, and the main reason i can see people choose to install caps is because of dimming lights.

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Im surprised no one as asked yet, but what is the reason you got a capacitor in the first place OP?

Iv always hated the lights dimming and some people have said put a cap in and others a big battery closer to the subs eg boot. but the reson i finerly did it is my tuner said just give it a go because i have blown up 2 ecus and didnt want to blow another at over 500$ a time it might have been nothing to do with it but for $150 thought might aswell give it a try. Also this car uses allot of the battery voltage on aftermarket fuel pumps, aftermarket gauges, intercooler pump and a few other little things that arnt ment to be in the car as standed.