Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soundstream cap drawing .5amp

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
To the OP: What the hell is 3 gauge wire?

Try using 0 gauge - full system and do the big three upgrade. Would have cost less than 2 ECU's and a $150 cap.
And if your pulling a lot of current running fuel pumps and stuff, second battery in boot for stereo, no two ways about it. Do it once do it right.

Or, rip the stereo out, your choice.

deano_413

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6.0
This thread is hilarious, poor guy just wants to know how to wire his cap not build one hahaha

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
I learnt last night that the cap is drawing power when the car is off because thats the only time it can charge, it can't charge while the stereo is playing because its using all the power, a cap is pretty useless to be placed next to the battery/amps. The best place to put a cap to stop the dimming of lights is next to the light itself because thats where the light needs the power.

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
What is the big 3? battery, alt and wire? I do want to change the battery but for now just want the cap to not stuff the battery. Thinking of just taking it out and sending both back they seem pretty useless but if theres a quick fix then that would be easyer?

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
What is the big 3? battery, alt and wire? I do want to change the battery but for now just want the cap to not stuff the battery. Thinking of just taking it out and sending both back they seem pretty useless but if theres a quick fix then that would be easyer?

Just watch the video..

Last edited by a moderator:

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
$150 the battery has gorn flat after less then 24 hours im just going to send both back not very happy with soundstream atm

I've had a Soundstreme cap before, never had an issue untill I realized it was a waste of money. Some don't have a remote wire, they charge automatically but it never made my battery go flat when the car was off.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I learnt last night that the cap is drawing power when the car is off because thats the only time it can charge, it can't charge while the stereo is playing because its using all the power, a cap is pretty useless to be placed next to the battery/amps. The best place to put a cap to stop the dimming of lights is next to the light itself because thats where the light needs the power.

^^^ correct, if your only using the cap to stop the lights dimming then place the cap on the power circuit for the lights.
Quick questions to the OP
does the cap have a voltage read out?
are you allowing the cap to reach its charge state before you start your whole system up?

In my experience with PF caps when they fail they either blow up or go open circuit, maybe check the cap isn't bulging to be on the safe side

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
^^^ correct, if your only using the cap to stop the lights dimming then place the cap on the power circuit for the lights.
Quick questions to the OP
does the cap have a voltage read out?
are you allowing the cap to reach its charge state before you start your whole system up?

In my experience with PF caps when they fail they either blow up or go open circuit, maybe check the cap isn't bulging to be on the safe side

The cap does have a voltage readout just the same as the battery. I dont get what u mean about waiting for the cap to reach its charge stait i just start the car like normal. I cant even look at the cap atm because the boot wont open with a flat battery