Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soundstream cap drawing .5amp

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
The cap does have a voltage readout just the same as the battery. I dont get what u mean about waiting for the cap to reach its charge stait i just start the car like normal. I cant even look at the cap atm because the boot wont open with a flat battery

Pull the manual leaver!

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Pull the manual leaver!

If u mean the one in the boot i cant get to the boot from the back seat because of subs but have jump started it and takn it for a drive and will pull the cap out tomoz.
Hope its not a difficult job

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
If u mean the one in the boot i cant get to the boot from the back seat because of subs but have jump started it and takn it for a drive and will pull the cap out tomoz.
Hope its not a difficult job

What do you mean can't get to it? its right behind the metal plate lol.

Make sure you disconnect the power cables from the battery before disconnecting the cap!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
This thread is full of so many incorrect information :(

Harris... You should go speak to a car audio store about your issue. They'll be able to check the capacitor and wiring to verify if the capacitor is faulty. A properly wired and working cap won't flatten your battery. Or you can just remove it.

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have been to a audio guy about it and he tested both caps and they r both f**ked. Everything else is good with it when i drove it lastnight to charge the battery i had the subs goin hard and didnt dim the lights at all. Could it be anything to do with that they have used positive wire on the earth? I dout it but just thoght i would ask. didnt like that they did that when i picked the car up.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
$150 is half way to buying a deep cycle battery, or the whole cost of adding a second, lead acid battery in the boot!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
A second battery will do alot more for your stereo than a cap would do.

Yet it will do bugger all to stop the system voltage from dropping from ~14v to the battery's 12v during big current draw, which is visible as dimming lights. A capacitor helps reduce that voltage drop as the capacitor can charge to the alternator voltage (~14v) and help stabilise voltage fluctuations (dimming).

Harris... What do you mean positive wire for the ground? Do you just mean the same size and colour wire? That's perfectly fine electrically, just looks a bit dodgy.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Yet it will do bugger all to stop the system voltage from dropping from ~14v to the battery's 12v during big current draw, which is visible as dimming lights. A capacitor helps reduce that voltage drop as the capacitor can charge to the alternator voltage (~14v) and help stabilise voltage fluctuations (dimming).

ah, a capacitor won't stop the voltage from dropping to the battery voltage either. :hmmm:

kinda odd to see you making incorrect statements like that.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Are you charging the battery each time it goes flat? or are you just relying on the alternator. If you are not give the battery a proper deep charge it only take hours to drain the surface charge off the battery.

Lol i havn't been on the car audio forum for a long time, Good to see the flame wars still raging.

Carry on lads.