Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soundstream USB-8A Powered Subwoofer, Anybody running one?

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hey guys

Just wondering is anyone using the Soundstream USB-8A Powered Subwoofer??
Its a sub, amp and box all in the one unit..

What are your thoughts? It will be going into a ute, with soundstream splits

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Waste of time and money really, a subwoofer that's 1.5'' larger than your main speakers. You can get subwoofers that size, that sound good too, but they have massive surrounds and take a ton of power, and of course still need a reasonable sized enclosure.

There's plenty of slimline 12'' pre fab subs on the market these days that would do a much better job. Don't dissapoint yourself, do it right the first time.

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I should mention Im not after serious bass, like most are chasing when they are wanting to get subs.. just a nice solid sound down low. Does this change your opinion fun bucket?

Like you mentioned, I'll rather go this way as I dont really want to loose any space in the cabin

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
No it doesen't change my opinion, in fact it re-enforces it even more. If you not after sub bass, then don't fit a sub. If you do want sub bass, then fit something that's not likely to wind up dissapointing you and costing you twice as much to get it right the second time around.

One of the best things about a ute is cabin gain. If your not happy with the midbass output from your current speakers, then by all means upgrade them to something better, or look into your current installation, things like sealing up the service holes and such other things can make a big improvement.

That sub is going to operate in a very limited bandwidth, it won't be able to play very low, and will distort very early on if it tries. A larger better quality sub will do a far better job, and vice versa some more potent mid bass drivers in the door. Again, were only talking a 1.5'' increase, you'd be lucky to get clean output below 50hz, plus you'd get a lot of fq overlap between the sub and your fronts no matter how you set your filters

What is your current speaker and amp setup. If you write back and tell me your speakers aren't amplified yet i'll shoot you.

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Clarion deck
Soundstream pro splits, Im happy with how these sound un-amped :)
Soon to have dynamatted doors, in the post as we speak..

Just want abit more bass, probally still, even after the dynamatting lol

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Amp the bloody speakers !!! your not hearing them, your hearing the in built amp in the head unit run out of puff. I know it sounds like they won't take any more, but they will, a lot !! If you don't amp them and buy an active 8'' sub then i'm sorry but your just silly. The combined surface area of both thse mid bass drivers is more than the sub, and like i said they will just be over lapping, but hey, it's your car man, you do what ever you like.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it, obviously your not going to be happy until you hear what you want to hear. Maybe you'll got some other opinions....

Last edited: