Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sourcing spares from a reliable wrecker in Australia

penunga

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE 6.0
My 2008 Chev Lumina VE SS V8 (Commodore) was declared a write off in a minor accident. I was offered $13000 whereas on the open market it sells for $22000 to $42000.
Non critical parts such as bumpers and fenders are cheaper by far from a scrapyard though availability is scarce.

Can anyone recommend any Australian reliable scrapyard/wrecker who can export to South Africa?
Penunga

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You might be hard pressed for stuff that big, I know that getting brand new body kits from Japan is usually a container type deal. You could try contacting a company like Holmart and seeing what they can do for you.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
My 2008 Chev Lumina VE SS V8 (Commodore) was declared a write off in a minor accident. I was offered $13000 whereas on the open market it sells for $22000 to $42000.
Non critical parts such as bumpers and fenders are cheaper by far from a scrapyard though availability is scarce.

Can anyone recommend any Australian reliable scrapyard/wrecker who can export to South Africa?
Penunga
ld suggest USA as a possibility.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
You could try Salvage Auto's. They deal with ve and vf commodores and hsv.
Their phone number is 0755784668. I imagine the freight would be horrendous.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@penunga I don’t know how vehicle insurance works in South Africa but if the fair market value for your car lies between 22k to 42k and you have a market value base policy, how can tour insurance company provide a $13k payout which does not seem like a fair valuation?

Rather than accept their pitiful offer, maybe you’d be better off arguing with your insurance company that your vehicle was not in extreamly poor pre accident condition and thus does not deserve a 13k payment. Argue that your vehicle’s pre accident condition was either akin to an poor condition high km vehicle and should thus command a $22k payment OR akin to a excellent condition low km vehicle and should command a $42k payment. Or argue something inbetween, whatever you can justify.

If you had an agreed value policy that listed a $13k payout should the vehicle be written off then your hands would be partly tied. But if you insured a $42k vehicle for $13k, I’d be arguing you took some self insurance risk and as su h the wreck should remain your property.

But only you know the condition of your vehicle and te conditions of your policy AND whether the insurance payout is fair value for your vehicle’s condition while considering the type of insurance you had.

Your effort may be better spend sorting out the insurance payout rather than trying to sort repair parts. If you can negotiate a fair payout, it may be simpler to purchase another vehicle on the open market and possibly buy back your wreck for spare parts.

Cheers.