Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Space 2099 a Space 1999 possible reboot?

Discussion in 'Telly Talk' started by Skydrol, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Well.. here is a show that I enjoyed as a kid. Read long ago the show was very expensive to produce and was cancelled. What always caught my attention was their communicators. Those tiny black and white TV screens, the Panasonic TR-001. Back then, with nothing but vacuum tubes and max of 21 diagonal inches TV Colour Screens the show was amazing. Now days with CGI and all the tech makes it look like a cheap show. The series was a bit sombre, dark and kind of a downer but my dad and I we loved the show. Found in Hulu the entire series and binge watching.

Another show was UFO; funny to see what was their vision of 1980 with the Purple Hair Moon Base "Go-Go" Girls :rofl2:

Apparently, is in the works for a reboot. I think, if is true, the show can benefit of some good CGI and better writing without the technological restrictions.

[​IMG]

Com System

[​IMG]

2. SaUte

SaUte Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SSV ute
  3. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    :rofl2:

I know... is was the 70s disco influence :rofl:; if you think about it; that was the thing back then. The second season changed the theme, it became more "USA-ish".

What I always question was how many Eagles they got and how many were called Eagle 1; looks like a minimum of 1 Eagle was destroyed on every episode. They must have an endless supply of them and pilots too.

Here is your video....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  4. SaUte

SaUte Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SSV ute
    Watching it now :beer chug:

5. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    I am now on Season 1 Episode 18 :D

6. SaUte

SaUte Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SSV ute
    Binge watching mate

7. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    What always found fascinating, the whole show was made with models; not a single CGI effect. Apparently Brian Johnson (FX Artist) work influenced George Lucas to do Star Wars.

8. SaUte

SaUte Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SSV ute
    I think we are showing our age ,lol

9. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Sure we are.... ;)

10. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    This was produced in 13 September 1999 as a "closure" for the show. Sandra Baines explains it on this short video. If you watch Breakaway the 1st episode of season 1 the transmission from the distant planet, the probe they were working on, is them (alphans) sending a signal from the future; Maya created the transmitter to send the signal.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  11. Risky

Risky Guest

Space: 1999 was the show I really missed from the '70's. Lucky I bought the dvd's a few years ago for $20 & watched them all.

They seemed to have countless red shirts dying like they did in Star Trek. They must have had massive production facilities to either build or rebuild those Eagles (I had one as a diecast as a kid) lol.

Catherine Schell was a bit of a hottie back then. She was also in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

The SFX back then was top notch when CGI wasn't even a blink in someone's eye.

I always wanted one of those moonbuggies.

12. Risky

Risky Guest

Catherine Schell was pretty hot in this episode 8 Year 1 of Space: 1999 lol
    [​IMG]

13. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    On that episode.... she would not turn her back to the camera. I bet you can see her arse if she did; dam 70s censorship :D

Forgot to mention. She was on a cheesie Scy-Fi movie called Moon Zero Two.

14. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    I can see why the show got canceled on the second season. Three (1 main, 2 secondary) characters are gone without any good reason. The Command Center went from a nice open layout to a crammed room that feels more like a spaceship than a base. Also changed the writting style and everybody is taking happy pills (director). The computer instead of issuing shoping receipts as data output, now gives punched cards (up to date with early 70s tech). The music is few musicians short and the recording went from mono to shite. Also, what is up with the incidential music, is so dam anoying. The 1st season they used more background noises, now is drowned in this funky and silly music. The music remids me of the Wonder Woman show. The wardrobe is changed; Sylvia Anderson is not in the opening credits, just Gerry Anderson; she was the wardrobe designer. A lot of B Rolls/Stock Footage were used; the video quality suffered, is much dull.

Is very noticeable the cost saving.

Reading on some articles in the web, went from an UK to an US production. Apparently, we (USA) took a good show and ruined.

15. Risky

Risky Guest

They were expensive to produce at the time. There's a lot of contradictory sources on what happened to various characters. Even the base itself. I read that the command centre was moved underground as it was vulnerable above ground. I guess in reality at that time they reduced the budget.

Still I thought the series is great & still worth a watch every now & again. Considering that today's sci-fi shows are crap ever since Star Trek & Stargate went off the air a while back, it's still good to watch.

16. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    One TV show that I am trying to catch on is called "Defiance" is nothing more than a fururistic western. Grant Bowler is one of the main characters.