Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Space 2099 a Space 1999 possible reboot?

R

Risky

Space: 1999 was the show I really missed from the '70's. Lucky I bought the dvd's a few years ago for $20 & watched them all.

They seemed to have countless red shirts dying like they did in Star Trek. They must have had massive production facilities to either build or rebuild those Eagles (I had one as a diecast as a kid) lol.

Catherine Schell was a bit of a hottie back then. She was also in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

The SFX back then was top notch when CGI wasn't even a blink in someone's eye.

I always wanted one of those moonbuggies.

R

Risky

Catherine Schell was pretty hot in this episode 8 Year 1 of Space: 1999 lol
spgop2397.jpg

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
On that episode.... she would not turn her back to the camera. I bet you can see her arse if she did; dam 70s censorship :D

Forgot to mention. She was on a cheesie Scy-Fi movie called Moon Zero Two.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I can see why the show got canceled on the second season. Three (1 main, 2 secondary) characters are gone without any good reason. The Command Center went from a nice open layout to a crammed room that feels more like a spaceship than a base. Also changed the writting style and everybody is taking happy pills (director). The computer instead of issuing shoping receipts as data output, now gives punched cards (up to date with early 70s tech). The music is few musicians short and the recording went from mono to shite. Also, what is up with the incidential music, is so dam anoying. The 1st season they used more background noises, now is drowned in this funky and silly music. The music remids me of the Wonder Woman show. The wardrobe is changed; Sylvia Anderson is not in the opening credits, just Gerry Anderson; she was the wardrobe designer. A lot of B Rolls/Stock Footage were used; the video quality suffered, is much dull.

Is very noticeable the cost saving.

Reading on some articles in the web, went from an UK to an US production. Apparently, we (USA) took a good show and ruined.

R

Risky

They were expensive to produce at the time. There's a lot of contradictory sources on what happened to various characters. Even the base itself. I read that the command centre was moved underground as it was vulnerable above ground. I guess in reality at that time they reduced the budget.

Still I thought the series is great & still worth a watch every now & again. Considering that today's sci-fi shows are crap ever since Star Trek & Stargate went off the air a while back, it's still good to watch.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
One TV show that I am trying to catch on is called "Defiance" is nothing more than a fururistic western. Grant Bowler is one of the main characters.