Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spare ignition key not working

bluejuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I just bought a VR wagon and went and got a (plain)spare key cut, the key goes in and turns but the car wont start? The spare doesn't have the electronic stuff in it and I notice that it doesn't have a little bump of metal on it like the origional, this bit of metal on the origional key seems to touch on a metal ring around the lock. Is this little bump of metal on the origional key making some sort of a circuit connection ??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The head contains the electronics your car needs to tell it to start so you'll have to buy one and get it programmed to your car (can buy from Ebay or many other places and get programmed by Holden or Mr Minit etc).

bluejuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
So I have to have another huge key ? I got the spare cut cause the origional is so big and chunky. So let me get this right when I put the key in the ignition it has a code in it that tells the car it can start up? Wish the guy at the key cutting place could have told me that!!

Last edited:

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
transponders, gotta love em lol

or if you have a head you can use that to unlock the doors giving you what, 20seconds to start the car before the imoboliser kicks in again.