Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spare Key is from another car

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi All,

Just purchased a VFII SV6 the other day from an interstate dealer. Went down picked the car up with two sets of keys in hand. Upon reaching home, one of the keys did not work and realised it was a spare key for another car. I can get the key programmed to my car by the local holder dealer. Is there any way of replacing the blade in the key so I can open the door manually if I need to? Going back to the dealer is not an option as they are 600kms away.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi All,

Just purchased a VFII SV6 the other day from an interstate dealer. Went down picked the car up with two sets of keys in hand. Upon reaching home, one of the keys did not work and realised it was a spare key for another car. I can get the key programmed to my car by the local holder dealer. Is there any way of replacing the blade in the key so I can open the door manually if I need to? Going back to the dealer is not an option as they are 600kms away.

Ring the dealer you purchased from and ask them to send you the correct key.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I’ve been caught before..years ago bought my first Commodore, a second hand one, from a Holden Dealer assuming it would come with two keys....on delivery it was ‘sorry mate it was only traded with one’. Keys were somewhat less expensive to replace in those days..talking about the late 90s.

My advice to anyone buying second hand is to make sure two programmable working keys are specified in the contract..or just settle for a further discount up front in lieu...I know this advice is a bit late for you sorry...good luck with it anyway, you never know, they may have just accidentally mixed up the keys at their end...

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi All,

Where you say interstate ?
Purchased from ?, and you are from ?
As you don't have info in your Addy,
Where, if you did, maybe a JC's member maybe able to assist,
or direct you to a place that maybe able to.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Is there any way of replacing the blade in the key so I can open the door manually.

talk to a key cutter/lock smith and they should be able to do it.
i have taken ebay keys and swapped the blades, body and electronics to and from oem keys so yes it can be done.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
talk to a key cutter/lock smith and they should be able to do it.
i have taken ebay keys and swapped the blades, body and electronics to and from oem keys so yes it can be done.

I have done this also,
Move Flip Keys to other Flip Key Shells
Also moved a Non Flip Key Blade to a Flip Key Case [noted in other threads I have created].

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Sam_100, obviously the intent was to deliver the car with two working keys, which is why you got 2 keys given to you. And as a used car comes with statutory 3 month warranty, the dealer has got no argument to refuse supplying the correct working key.

So, as @VS 5.0 said, ring the dealer. State the fault you have with one of the supplied keys and ask them to send you a working key (with electronic fob).

Obviously you’ll send back the incorrect key in the prepaid return satchel they provide you once you have received the correct key ;)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The Key Cutter in the shopping centre where I live sells the blank key for the VF and will cut it for you, so I'd guess others do as well.

I had a couple of spares cut some time ago just in case I ever need them.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Ring the dealer you purchased from and ask them to send you the correct key.
Did the same myself a couple of years ago. Dealer posted key from WA to NSW.
Simples.