Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spare Parts Design/Prices

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I was waiting in the service area of a Holden dealer waiting for my car this morning when I overheard something that worried me.

Reception was talking on the phone to someone about problems found with a car. A comment about $400+ for a part caught my attention. The next item was to correct a blown brake light bulb in the top of the window. It was stated that it was an integrated unit, and that the replacement part was $200 +.

I don't know the model or any specific details, but surely rear brake lights should be able to be replaced for a few dollars, not hundreds.

Anyone able to shed light on this?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Cost me 60 bucks a hit for the chrome trims that go around the driving lights on a VZ Calais front bumper.

not related to the lightbulb topic but more to this chrome strip topic.
i was quoted $196 from Fraud for a chrome strip that is missing from the rear bumper of my BA Ford Fairmont.

back to topic:
think about it this way.
the rear brake light assembly is just that - an assembly.
it is made from various INDIVIDUAL parts.
a light bulb is one of those parts which would have been added at some point in the assembly line meaning the light bulb itself can be changed without throwing everything else away.
UNLESS the whole unit is sealed (plastic welded/glued whatever) around the bulb so it cannot be removed.
Still not worth $200 but thats what they charge only because they can.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
you only need look at wiper blades and their cost...... from Holden genuine blades will set you back over $90 for the pair... after market are less than 40 bux for both

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
might have been an led in a spoiler or rear window light,

saw a wm stato the other with an led out in the rear window brake light

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i would say andyman is right, would be the top mount led in the rear window, with the plastic trim that goes with it, not too bad

i work with mercedes and vw all day, and i brake **** like its goin out of fashion, you would have a heart attack at some of there prices

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
In the VE, the centre stop is a one piece, which also comes with the trim piece which goes over it. If one LED stops working, the whole unit feasably needs to be replaced. But globes are a warranty item, so the customer should not have to foot any cost for this repair.

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Ve 08 sv6 ute

HI*Can anybody shed some light on electical problems with my VE 08 SV6 ute. While you are driving along all of a sudden the interior light comes on and you can't turn it off and the open DOOR* simble on the left hand side of your instuments panel stays ON TELLING YOU YOUR DOORS ARE OPEN? BUT THEY ARE NOT. iF YOU TrY TO LOCK YOUR CAR WITH REMOTE KEY THE DRIVERS DOOR WILL NOT LOCK and the car beeps 5 times and then the alarm goes off continuously till you try to open it manually* IT TAKES 3 GOES TO MANUALLY LOCK DRIVERS DOOR and when it is locked manually it does'T LOCK THE HARD TONNEU COVER AND THE MANUAL KEY WONT LOCK IT EITHER! All this only happens when driving in the rain. When the rain stop, 5, 6 hours later every thing is back to normal. It is in at holden warranty for the second time now and still waiting on the* diagnois of the problem and while I"am at it* found* major oil leak on ground either from auto trans or power steering can"t exactly see where it is coming from because of the under cover tray covering under the car but the oil is running across the bumper bar and leaking from the engine cross member not good, car has only done 5,000 klms. Any feed back would be great. I was told today by a mechanic it could be the Body Control Module ?Mark: :bang:

Last edited:

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Ve 08 sv6 ute

HI*
Can anybody shed some light on electical problems with my VE 08 SV6 ute. While you are driving along all of a sudden the interior light comes on and you can't turn it off and the open DOOR* simble on the left hand side of your instuments panel stays ON TELLING YOU YOUR DOORS ARE OPEN? BUT THEY ARE NOT. iF YOU TrY TO LOCK YOUR CAR WITH REMOTE KEY THE DRIVERS DOOR WILL NOT LOCK and the car beeps 5 times and then the alarm goes off continuously till you try to open it manually* IT TAKES 3 GOES TO MANUALLY LOCK DRIVERS DOOR and when it is locked manually it does'T LOCK THE HARD TONNEU COVER AND THE MANUAL KEY WONT LOCK IT EITHER! All this only happens when driving in the rain. When the rain stop, 5, 6 hours later every thing is back to normal. It is in at holden warranty for the second time now and still waiting on the* diagnois of the problem and while I"am at it* found* major oil leak on ground either from auto trans or power steering can"t exactly see where it is coming from because of the under cover tray covering under the car but the oil is running across the bumper bar and leaking from the engine cross member not good, car has only done 5,000 klms. Any feed back would be great. I was told today by a mechanic it could be the Body Control Module ?Mark: :bang: