Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spare Time..... What to do with my car>???

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
fellow jc's

Ok im 17, on holidays for the next 2 weeks, about to get my p's in a month.

I have a blunt stocko 2002 vy exec that my father is driving until i get p's (mind i did pay for it)

the thing is for these next two weeks i have alot of spare time on my hands

i have just washed and cleaned the car inside-out

i was just woundering what could i do to the car ( i got $500 spare) in the next 2 weeks, like any minor mods to like the exterior and interior or any maintanence and cleaning? oor evenn something i could buy and replace

I was thinking maybe remove black strips on side of car, give dash a major clean (what should i use?), maybe even remove spolier? (using grommets to fill in) and debadge side v6 badges

also its got a hidious towbar hanging out, anything i can do to remove the fowl thing lol hahhahhahaa or atleast make it less noticable

in the long term i am planning to get spoiler and badge of boot and get resprayed (chiped paint) and lowering with rims

thanks, james

Last edited:

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Well I'm on my L's too and get my P's in July and I've done a few small things and have some more lined up. 2-hole mod is a good start. I haven't done it yet but it looks quite easy to do. Paint your brake callipers and hubs. Very easy mod and does give your car a sportier look (imo it does anyway). Paint your dash and wheel spokes. Give your engine bay a new spray job. Just make sure it's clean, mild sand with fine wet+dry, prime and paint. The SS light conversion is becoming popular so might be worth doing it yourself.

Get a custom dash badge to replace your standard "SRS Airbag" one. I've heard some signing store can easily make one up. Could change over your pedals to the sporty ones. Maybe some calais sun visors to give a tiny touch of luxury. Get yourself some new headlight bulbs or HID's. I got the crystal visions and they are a great improvement.

Anyway those are just some ideas. Can't be bothered to do the maths but I think all of them would cost under the $500 limit so go nuts. Good luck with it. Hope that helped a bit.

Last edited:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Don't put grommets in the spoiler, it looks so backyard and dodgy... make a post in the wanted to buy/swap forum here and see if you can find someone without a spoiler who wants to swap their bootlid for yours (plus instead of spending money you'll actually gain some money if you agree to do so).

A catback exhaust can easily be fitted at home in an afternoon (no welding) and if you've got someone who can weld you can get any tip you want fitted to the end... they're a cheap mod

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Is the car all serviced upto date? I know its not cosmetic int or ext, I would start here, with new oil and filter, maybe changing the coolant, give the auto a fluid change, maybe new leads and plugs these small things can make a big difference to how long you want to hang onto the car.

other than that, I would remove the black strips prob take 2 weeks to get all the sika off anyways LOL

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Well I'm on my L's too and get my P's in July and I've done a few small things and have some more lined up. 2-hole mod is a good start. I haven't done it yet but it looks quite easy to do. Paint your brake callipers and hubs. Very easy mod and does give your car a sportier look (imo it does anyway). Paint your dash and wheel spokes. Give your engine bay a new spray job. Just make sure it's clean, mild sand with fine wet+dry, prime and paint. The SS light conversion is becoming popular so might be worth doing it yourself.

Can a custom dash badge to replace your standard "SRS Airbag" one. I've heard some signing store can easily make one up. Could change over your pedals to the sporty ones. Maybe some calais sun visors to give a tiny touch of luxury. Get yourself some new headlight bulbs or HID's. I got the crystal visions and they are a great improvement.

Anyway those are just some ideas. Can't be bothered to do the maths but I think all of them would cost under the $500 limit so go nuts. Good luck with it. Hope that helped a bit.

haha yeh thanks mate, will try some of them, i will def do the ss lights, sun visors and pedals that will look great.

I might even paint my dash, because it does have a few chips and scratches (previous owner had long tools running through the middle of the car)

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Don't put grommets in the spoiler, it looks so backyard and dodgy... make a post in the wanted to buy/swap forum here and see if you can find someone without a spoiler who wants to swap their bootlid for yours (plus instead of spending money you'll actually gain some money if you agree to do so).

A catback exhaust can easily be fitted at home in an afternoon (no welding) and if you've got someone who can weld you can get any tip you want fitted to the end... they're a cheap mod

yeh i do have a few friends that can weld, i might get catbacks done,

ok ok no grommets haha im just not very patient, i should just wait.
ok yeh a trade sounds good but, my boot has paint chips and paint scratched on it, do you think i will be able to do a tradestill?

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Is the car all serviced upto date? I know its not cosmetic int or ext, I would start here, with new oil and filter, maybe changing the coolant, give the auto a fluid change, maybe new leads and plugs these small things can make a big difference to how long you want to hang onto the car.

other than that, I would remove the black strips prob take 2 weeks to get all the sika off anyways LOL

haha im guessing the strips removal will be a very long and tedious job, owell i got spare time,

yeh my dad services and changes most of that stuff regularly im pritty sure, but maybe i could change leads and plugs, also i am planning on keeping the car till im off my p's, so around 2-3 years or wateva so best keep it running good

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer

Make sure it's legal to do so first because I know that in NSW and VIC (probably QLD too) ALL performance modifications are illegal for P platers. This includes the exhaust. Your car will be defected and your insurance will not cover it.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i removed my side strips in around 3 hours, Boiling water will loosen the glue, allowing you to pull them off, and i used a razor blade (extremely carefully,) and cut the sikaflex itself down to as much as i could, then just prepsoled the rest off. No damage done at all, but time over again, i reckon i would have left them on..

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
post a pic of ya car mate that way if we see somethin we can say ohh do that blah blah lol

side strips should go though