Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spark plug gap for VS commodore

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Friends got a VS commodore, gas was not factory with it but it was put on by the person who owned it before him, were wondering weather we should sure regular gap specification for the car or use the gas specification i think its like 0.2 mm difference or something.

Before we go out and buy some to replace the old one he has thought we'd check, his been having strange rattling issues when his running on petrol and when on gas no issues at all - happened ever since his radiator got changed atm were looking towards changing spark plugs since they havent been changed in awhile anyway.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The book says 1.5mm for petrol - some gas fitters use 1.1mm when on gas as it's harder for the spark to jump the gap when on gas so they use the smaller gap.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
and or 1.0mm for turbo or supercharged

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
even 1.3 is small enough for turbo you want to run the biggest gap you can get away with.i run all vs LPG's on stock 1.5 no issues at all

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
well... we put in bpr7efs-15 turned the ignition and everything seems good, fixed the issue he had on petrol where the car would act like it was missfiring the gap that the old spark plugs had looked like over 2mm and had some traces of rust ... should he be concerned about it? his mechanic always said they were fine but i told him to change them anyway... since its been over 9 month and he drives 250km a day... mon-fri

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
With a gap of 2mm I can understand why it missed on petrol. The rust is normal and is not rust but a deposit from some additive in the fuel....some engines have it whilst other don't.
Good you got it fixed.