Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug issue

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Rosey72, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Rosey72

Rosey72 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Olympic Games Vehicle
    Hi all.
    I have a VT 2000 6 cyl. I seem to be going thru spark plugs around every 6 months.
    A friend suggested getting a colder type rated spark plug which would last longer.
    So what sort of plug and brand do i get for the best lasting performance please.
    I do on average about 800ks a week.
    TiA for suggestions.

2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Eco and Buick V6s tend to go through plugs quicker than V8s, due to the design of the ignition system. You could try Bosch Platinum but don't buy them from SCA as they sell the US Bosch and they will wear out quicker than the Australian Bosch Platinums. I wouldn't recommend going a colder plug, best to stick with the right ones.

3. BlackVXGTS

BlackVXGTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
    Can you provide more information about what's happening to your plugs. Some photos would be good. Check out the pictures in the attached file:

Attached Files:

losh1971 likes this.
  4. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    It sounds like you are fouling the plugs due to either over fueling or oil entering the combustion chamber.
    Do a compression test on the engine if it's low dry then add some oil to each cylinder if the compression rises you have worn rings and will require hotter plugs.

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Agree with Black VX, pics will tell us what is going on. If they are burning away as i suspect its an inherent problem common with early - mid V6s. Mine burns through plugs although I normally get 30 -35k, maybe 40k from a set. But certainly not the 50 -60k i used to get on cars i have had with a dizzy or coil pack that services all six plugs.
    From what i understand is the Buick and Eco the coil packs fire in a different way that means one side the ground strap burns away and on the other side the electrode burns away. This is why i burn through plugs and altering the heat range will probably have no affect on plug life.
    With mine its not so much the ground strap burning away like can happen, but what does occur is all three plugs on one bank burn the electrodes away while the other bank is pretty much mostly fine.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  6. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    They're a wasted spark system very common but 40k intervals is what is recomended so that is fine. Wasted spark is quite common it's used as you have to jump two gaps one under compression the other on exhaust stroke giving you a 25% voltage gain.

However six months is very short life indicating likely a fouling issue.

losh1971 likes this.
  7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    We need more info like the plugs that are being used. I know mine burnt away quicker with the SCA Bosch Platinum, which are an American plug and not listed on the Bosch Australia site. The US ones are a different design and I suspect that too contributed to mine burning away the first time i learnt about the wasted spark you mentioned. 800km a week is still close to 21k so its not as bad as it sounds IMO. I never wrote down my mileage when i installed mine so I could have replaced them at 30k but had to guess a range of 30 -40k as they were fitted for a couple of years. Buf i don't drive a lot.

8. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    40k is the norm for non platnium/iridium standard tungsten plugs. If you get 60k off standards than you're doing good.

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I only run Platinum and have done for probably 20 years. No way I'd get 60k from any plugs in my ute, 40k would be absolute max.

10. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    The ignition system in waste spark V6 engines is designed for tungsten plugs. I've never run platinums on those engines so cant comment on how well they should perform on those engines. Maybe another member can?

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I found out about the wasted spark from Immortality, as i found the Platinums burnt out on one bank. I tried to find my old post with pics but its lost somewhere in the JC files. I fitted the Australian Bosch Platinums earlier this year. It will be interesting to see how long they last compare to the ones i bought from SCA.

12. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Bosch Australia don't produce any product any more. I've been to their Melbourne facility for a 5 day training course before. It's a research only facility. So any bosch plug you buy is made in the same place be it Chezch republic or PRC.

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah nah i meant the part number for the Buick on the Australian Bosch site is different to the ones SCA sells. Look up the part number for the plugs SCA sell and it doesn't come up.
    I had to go searching when i thought I had been sold the wrong plugs this year as they were a different electrode design, compared to the ones i pulled out. The ones i pulled out were ones i fitted too. When i fitted my first set i had no idea they were the US design as i thought they were how the Buick plugs were.

14. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    That will just be a superceed nothing untoward.

15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Don't want to start an argument but i have used Bosch Platinums for 20 years and only time i have come across this type of electrode design was in the one set that i that came from SCA. Every other set i have bought for various cars all had the same electrode.

KustomKulture62 likes this.
  16. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Try twin earth strap plugs. They’re pretty much designed for wasted spark ignition systems. You only need to fit them on the bank that kills plugs though. Standard plugs on the other side. Doesn’t hurt to use them all round, but they’re a little more expensive.

Platinum refers to the electrode type for most manufacturers, but the earth strap isn’t anything special. Is most applications it’s the electrode that wears, but on one bank of a wasted spark ignition system the opposite is true.

losh1971 likes this.
  17. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Also torqueing the plug plays a major role, over doing them up can stress the thread and cause damage to the cylinder head or the plug, under tighten them wont dissipate the heat correctly which leads to detonation or pinging then engine damage.
    If the engine isn't tuned properly or your using poor fuel this can lead to plug failure, bad leads even coil pack not giving the spark they need can damage plugs and your catalytic convertor. Food for thought.

18. Rosey72

Rosey72 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Olympic Games Vehicle
    Hi all.
    Just changing the plugs over now. I ended up getting the Holden ones. $22 so we will see how long these last. I took pictures of the ones we took out for your opinions on condition lol they look pretty stuffed to me.

19. Rosey72

Rosey72 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Olympic Games Vehicle
    Having trouble uploading the pictures

Attached Files:

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah photos not coming through