Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug issue

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Also torqueing the plug plays a major role, over doing them up can stress the thread and cause damage to the cylinder head or the plug, under tighten them wont dissipate the heat correctly which leads to detonation or pinging then engine damage.
If the engine isn't tuned properly or your using poor fuel this can lead to plug failure, bad leads even coil pack not giving the spark they need can damage plugs and your catalytic convertor. Food for thought.

Torquing up spark plugs.....That's a new one....Must do that next time I change plugs in any of my cars.

Oh and yeah...You can over tighten them and cause issues....Under tightening them, generally means you have the sound of escaping air through the plug hole....And you can also spit a plug out as a result

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Now what do I do with a V8 I have here, where I have no chance in hell getting a torque wrench to the back 2 right hand bank spark plugs? I can barely fit a 3/8 drive ratchet and spark plug socket inbetween the brake lines and the firewall...The turn on the ratchet is about 1/5 of a turn at a time

To me it's obvious you have very little experience with mechanicals, so best you stick to stuff you actually know about

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Says a suspension guy.. If you cant get a torque wrench in there or you don't own one then do the plug up finger tight then turn it with a plug tool 22.5,
degrees ( revolution) or 1/16 of a turn.
piechart.gif

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Now what do I do with a V8 I have here, where I have no chance in hell getting a torque wrench to the back 2 right hand bank spark plugs? I can barely fit a 3/8 drive ratchet and spark plug socket inbetween the brake lines and the firewall...The turn on the ratchet is about 1/5 of a turn at a time

You can buy a 1/4" drive torque wrench which will fit easily if you currently use a 3/8" drive ratchet. I use one for the spark plugs on all my V8s - VS, VX, VF. Also, anyone with experience of mechanicals knows the value of using a proper torque wrench rather than going by feel to torque critical bolts (and spark plugs).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You can buy a 1/4" drive torque wrench which will fit easily if you currently use a 3/8" drive ratchet. I use one for the spark plugs on all my V8s - VS, VX, VF. Also, anyone with experience of mechanicals knows the value of using a proper torque wrench rather than going by feel to torque critical bolts (and spark plugs).

Ever done a V8 Valiant? I'll give you a tip.....You won't get any torque wrench in there, because you have next to no room for the handle, even with a 1/4" drive torque wrench....The ratchet I have has a stumpy handle, which just misses the brake lines.....

Prior to getting that, I used a spanner on the end of the spark plug socket.

Oh and I use a little experience to know when to stop tightening up spark plugs.....Never had one snap, nor one loose.....Guess it might be a little luck involved with it, by the sounds of it

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Says a suspension guy.. If you cant get a torque wrench in there or you don't own one then do the plug up finger tight then turn it with a plug tool 22.5,
degrees ( revolution) or 1/16 of a turn.
piechart.gif

Might be a suspension guy, but I bought my VC and a rolling shell and put it together by myself....The only help I got was being supervised painting it (my first paint job) and bolting up the rear bumper bar and bullbar....The rest was all me....And if you check your VH thread, you'll see everything I have replaced since it was put on the road.

So I might do tyres and suspensions for a living, but it doesn't mean that's all I know.....You seem only how to post links to you tube and nothing more

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
then do the plug up finger tight then turn it with a plug tool 22.5, degrees ( revolution) or 1/16 of a turn.

I never had my fingers calibrated. Clean plug hole, screw in plug, nip up with plug socket, that'll do. Must have been just lucky not to have a disaster.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ever done a V8 Valiant? I'll give you a tip.....You won't get any torque wrench in there, because you have next to no room for the handle, even with a 1/4" drive torque wrench....The ratchet I have has a stumpy handle, which just misses the brake lines.....

Prior to getting that, I used a spanner on the end of the spark plug socket.

Oh and I use a little experience to know when to stop tightening up spark plugs.....Never had one snap, nor one loose.....Guess it might be a little luck involved with it, by the sounds of it
Did the Valiant go Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!! My deceased brother in laws use to it was a big old orange 1970 2 door tank, he used a tennis racquet to stop the seat from folding back while driving. It was grouse car he use to take us to Philip island in the summer time. Memories from the early 90's.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I never had my fingers calibrated. Clean plug hole, screw in plug, nip up with plug socket, that'll do. Must have been just lucky not to have a disaster.
Mine fingers stop moving when the plug is tight that's why I said use a plug tool to go the 1/16 after that. ;)