Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug issue

Rosey72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Games Vehicle
Hi all.
I have a VT 2000 6 cyl. I seem to be going thru spark plugs around every 6 months.
A friend suggested getting a colder type rated spark plug which would last longer.
So what sort of plug and brand do i get for the best lasting performance please.
I do on average about 800ks a week.
TiA for suggestions.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Eco and Buick V6s tend to go through plugs quicker than V8s, due to the design of the ignition system. You could try Bosch Platinum but don't buy them from SCA as they sell the US Bosch and they will wear out quicker than the Australian Bosch Platinums. I wouldn't recommend going a colder plug, best to stick with the right ones.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Can you provide more information about what's happening to your plugs. Some photos would be good. Check out the pictures in the attached file:

Attachments

• Spark Plug Tutorial.pdf
    167 KB · Views: 213

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It sounds like you are fouling the plugs due to either over fueling or oil entering the combustion chamber.
Do a compression test on the engine if it's low dry then add some oil to each cylinder if the compression rises you have worn rings and will require hotter plugs.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with Black VX, pics will tell us what is going on. If they are burning away as i suspect its an inherent problem common with early - mid V6s. Mine burns through plugs although I normally get 30 -35k, maybe 40k from a set. But certainly not the 50 -60k i used to get on cars i have had with a dizzy or coil pack that services all six plugs.
From what i understand is the Buick and Eco the coil packs fire in a different way that means one side the ground strap burns away and on the other side the electrode burns away. This is why i burn through plugs and altering the heat range will probably have no affect on plug life.
With mine its not so much the ground strap burning away like can happen, but what does occur is all three plugs on one bank burn the electrodes away while the other bank is pretty much mostly fine.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Agree with Black VX, pics will tell us what is going on. If they are burning away as i suspect its an inherent problem common with early - mid V6s. Mine burns through plugs although I normally get 30 -35k, maybe 40k from a set. But certainly not the 50 -60k i used to get on cars i have had with a dizzy or coil pack that services all six plugs.
From what i understand is the Buick and Eco the coil packs fire in a different way that means one side the ground strap burns away and on the other side the electrode burns away. This is why i burn through plugs and altering the heat range will probably have no affect on plug life.
They're a wasted spark system very common but 40k intervals is what is recomended so that is fine. Wasted spark is quite common it's used as you have to jump two gaps one under compression the other on exhaust stroke giving you a 25% voltage gain.

However six months is very short life indicating likely a fouling issue.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We need more info like the plugs that are being used. I know mine burnt away quicker with the SCA Bosch Platinum, which are an American plug and not listed on the Bosch Australia site. The US ones are a different design and I suspect that too contributed to mine burning away the first time i learnt about the wasted spark you mentioned. 800km a week is still close to 21k so its not as bad as it sounds IMO. I never wrote down my mileage when i installed mine so I could have replaced them at 30k but had to guess a range of 30 -40k as they were fitted for a couple of years. Buf i don't drive a lot.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
We need more info like the plugs that are being used. I know mine burnt away quicker with the SCA Bosch Platinum, which are an American plug and not listed on the Bosch Australia site. The US ones are a different design and I suspect that too contributed to mine burning away the first time i learnt about the wasted spark you mentioned.
40k is the norm for non platnium/iridium standard tungsten plugs. If you get 60k off standards than you're doing good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I only run Platinum and have done for probably 20 years. No way I'd get 60k from any plugs in my ute, 40k would be absolute max.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I only run Platinum and have done for probably 20 years. No way I'd get 60k from any plugs in my ute, 40k would be absolute max.
The ignition system in waste spark V6 engines is designed for tungsten plugs. I've never run platinums on those engines so cant comment on how well they should perform on those engines. Maybe another member can?