Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found out about the wasted spark from Immortality, as i found the Platinums burnt out on one bank. I tried to find my old post with pics but its lost somewhere in the JC files. I fitted the Australian Bosch Platinums earlier this year. It will be interesting to see how long they last compare to the ones i bought from SCA.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I found out about the wasted spark from Immortality, as i found the Platinums burnt out on one bank. I tried to find my old post with pics but its lost somewhere in the JC files. I fitted the Australian Bosch Platinums earlier this year. It will be interesting to see how long they last compare to the ones i bought from SCA.
Bosch Australia don't produce any product any more. I've been to their Melbourne facility for a 5 day training course before. It's a research only facility. So any bosch plug you buy is made in the same place be it Chezch republic or PRC.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah nah i meant the part number for the Buick on the Australian Bosch site is different to the ones SCA sells. Look up the part number for the plugs SCA sell and it doesn't come up.
I had to go searching when i thought I had been sold the wrong plugs this year as they were a different electrode design, compared to the ones i pulled out. The ones i pulled out were ones i fitted too. When i fitted my first set i had no idea they were the US design as i thought they were how the Buick plugs were.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah nah i meant the part number for the Buick on the Australian Bosch site is different to the ones SCA sells. Look up the part number for the plugs SCA sell and it doesn't come up.
I had to go searching when i thought I had been sold the wrong plugs this year as they were a different electrode design, compared to the ones i pulled out. The ones i pulled out were ones i fitted too. When i fitted my first set i had no idea they were the US design as i thought they were how the Buick plugs were.
That will just be a superceed nothing untoward.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't want to start an argument but i have used Bosch Platinums for 20 years and only time i have come across this type of electrode design was in the one set that i that came from SCA. Every other set i have bought for various cars all had the same electrode.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Don't want to start an argument but i have used Bosch Platinums for 20 years and only time i have come across this type of electrode design was in the one set that i that came from SCA. Every other set i have bought for various cars all had the same electrode.
Try twin earth strap plugs. They’re pretty much designed for wasted spark ignition systems. You only need to fit them on the bank that kills plugs though. Standard plugs on the other side. Doesn’t hurt to use them all round, but they’re a little more expensive.

Platinum refers to the electrode type for most manufacturers, but the earth strap isn’t anything special. Is most applications it’s the electrode that wears, but on one bank of a wasted spark ignition system the opposite is true.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Also torqueing the plug plays a major role, over doing them up can stress the thread and cause damage to the cylinder head or the plug, under tighten them wont dissipate the heat correctly which leads to detonation or pinging then engine damage.
If the engine isn't tuned properly or your using poor fuel this can lead to plug failure, bad leads even coil pack not giving the spark they need can damage plugs and your catalytic convertor. Food for thought.

Rosey72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Games Vehicle
Hi all.
Just changing the plugs over now. I ended up getting the Holden ones. $22 so we will see how long these last. I took pictures of the ones we took out for your opinions on condition lol they look pretty stuffed to me.

Rosey72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Games Vehicle
Having trouble uploading the pictures

Attachments

• ig_backup_code.jpg
    ig_backup_code.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 131

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride