Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark Plug Removal

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Can anyone explain how to remove spark plugs from a VXII?

I've got the Gregory's repair manual but it says **** all. According to me anyway.

Can someone please give a basic, plain english explanation?

Cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Taken from the NASA manual
get the correct size socket
put it on a ratchet or similar
turn the sparkplug anti-clockwise until it comes out
reverse the direction of rotation to fit the new one
after the plug touches the seat, JUST NIP IT UP.
put the lead back on

hey presto done

Rob

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Doctor Bob said:
put the lead back on

hey presto done

Rob

anyone know what the correct size socket is?

P

psycho_circus

Doctor Bob said:
put the lead back on

hey presto done

Rob

Just "NIP IT UP"? I assume you mean it should be in firm, but not much past finger tight?

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
Half a turn once tight.

Good to see you've researched though.

Well done, more than most...

K

Konker

dear god you drive a HOLDEN??? why cant you do spark plugs? take old out. put new ones in pref in that order. spark plug size socket. there are only 3 sizes. please please dont do your own oil. the whole sump plug may end up in tears.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Konker said:
dear god you drive a HOLDEN??? why cant you do spark plugs? take old out. put new ones in pref in that order. spark plug size socket. there are only 3 sizes. please please dont do your own oil. the whole sump plug may end up in tears.

cmon not my fault.. neither of my parents can change flat tyres..any car problems, including interior light bulbs being blown were taken care of by the dealer..

BUT i helped change a mates engine oil on his holden.. nothing to it..

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Konker said:
Give him a break. Theres a first time for everyting.
At least he's done a bit of research rather than f*** something up.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Torque is one of the most critical aspects of spark plug installation. Torque directly affects the spark plugs' ability to transfer heat out of the combustion chamber. A spark plug that is under-torqued will not be fully seated on the cylinder head, hence heat transfer will be slowed. This will tend to elevate combustion chamber temperatures to unsafe levels, and pre-ignition and detonation will usually follow. Serious engine damage is not far behind.

An over-torqed spark plug can suffer from severe stress to the Metal Shell which in turn can distort the spark plug's inner gas seals or even cause a hairline fracture to the spark plug's insulator...in either case, heat transfer can again be slowed and the above mentioned conditions can occur.

The spark plug holes must always be cleaned prior to installation, otherwise you may be torquing against dirt or debris and the spark plug may actually end up under-torqued, even though your torque wrench says otherwise. Of course, you should only install spark plugs in a cool engine, because metal expands when its hot and installation may prove difficult.

I believe that slowr8 is incorrect in saying to tighten half a turn once finger tight. That might be OK for spark plugs with gaskets but not for plugs without gaskets. Should turn only 1/16 of a turn once finger tight, or use a torque wrench - 1.5-2.5 kg/m for cast iron cylinder heads and 1.0-2.0 for aluminium heads (14mm spark plugs). Also use nickel anti-sieze on the threads when you replace the plugs to make them easier to undo next time.