Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speaker choice for a ve

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
hey guys im just after a bit of advice. i currently have a ve sv6 series 2 and the speakers are crap . what i was thinking is getting 2 new speakers for the back and 2 small subs for the parcel shelf driven buy a 4 channel amp. im not changing the front as if a run a amp for those i lose the bluetooth car kit.
any particular speaker / amp models i should look for ? also from my understanding the iq doesnt come standard with rca outputs for the amp and these will have to be added. are the jb installers able to do this or do i need to go to a more spealised audio store?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Change the front speakers. I don't know anything about VE's or Bluetooth but I don't see why changing the speakers would make you lose Blutetooth?

You sit in the front of the car, not that back - if you are unhappy with the speakers changing the rear isn't going to help a lot, you are still going to be hearing the same speakers as you are now.

What is your budget for speakers, subwoofers, amplifier(s) wiring and install? I wouldn't take your car to JB either.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
You are correct about the VE headunit not having RCA outputs.

Check out phreddy from ASR (forum sponsor) - he can mod your h/u to give you proper low-level (RCA) outs...

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Or you can also buy a LOC (line output converter) to turn the speaker outputs into RCA's. Not true low level output but still satisfactory for most people but at a fraction of the cost to modify the stock unit.

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
well from what ive picked up if i get new fronts and amp them then the bluetooth car kit wont work. the fronts are "ok" but the whole system lacks mid and bass so the idea was to change the back door speakers and putting 2 small subs on the parcel shelf . i know kicker do a 6 and 8 inch sub. i think the parcel shelf has holes for 6.5 inch havent measured it yet . budget would be 500-1000? i wanna keep the speakers as discret as possbile so back doors would be the same size as current ones .

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Change your front speakers man - even if you don't amp them - the stock ones are **** paper cone 5W jobs. You won't lose your bluetooth.

Then if you want, get a decent set of 6" or 6.5" coaxials for the back doors and a couple of 8" subs for the parcel shelf and amp those. The standard sub holes in the parcel shelf are 8" (or at least that's the size of the factory subs in SSV's etc.)

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Got mine done yesterday (amp+sub), put in new speakers a while ago and if you get a decent speaker you won't need to amp them and bluetooth works fine.

I also had a JB hi-fi guy install mine, they were pretty good just grabbed the plug you need (think it was 50 bucks), so probably a rip off haha, but it was worth it as IQ works a treat still.

Also get the middle dash speaker removed and the tweeters upgraded! everything in my system now is pioneer except the tweeters and they are crackly, gotta get them done asap

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
how much did the install cost you.? also were you able to still fit the standard grill over them? as some of the grills on speakers is bloody ugly
atm im pricing the speakers kicker pioner?
front 6" splits around $150-$200
rear door 6" around $150
two 8inch subs $300-$400
4 channel amp $250-$300
so i think about a grand should cover it.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
It'll cost more than a grand. You forgot the amp for the subs, wiring and install costs. Don't get subs for the parcel shelf, just get one 10" or 12" for the boot.

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
well i got the speakers, they were 6.5 inch and they were a perfect fit in the front doors, yeah the stock trim goes over it, Install cost 150 but had to buy the wires and an adapter for the head unit (IQ), all my stuff was pioneer so 12 inch sub (126), mono amp (488), splits (120), install (150), wire and adapter (150)... all iup just over a grand which is what i wanted to spend, You can get it all for under a grand but allow it to cost 1200-1300 so your not pissed off or end up short