Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speaker help please

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
i have a vx series 2 with the original cd player and speakers.
does anyone know what the highest watt speakers i can buy to replace them please.
can i go to 250 watt? thanks

mavro

mavro
Reaction score
Website
www.mavromatis.nl
Members Ride
VX 5.7ss
without a amp there is no point. it's not going to sound much better.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
any aftermarket speakers you buy WILL 100% definitely improve sound quality. But that said, it's not going to be as good as it can get, or any louder before it starts distorting, and no you don't need an amp... Most headunits now put out 50-55w per channel. So if you want it a bit louder and clearer, get yourself a set of speakers and a aftermarket headunit, you can get a pocket to fill the hole up if you buy a single din headunit

nick3110

2.5" Catback
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
just replaced the front speakers with some pioneer 6".. so much clearer and louder than the stocks.. and yeh u can go 250w, like sxc_sound said, get urself a aftermarket headunit to get the most out of ur speakers.. my pioneers are 280w 4way.. probably a bit much off the head unit, but i do plan on getting an amp in the near future..

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
It doesn't matter what rating the speakers you put in are, as you will only be putting ~5w through them, if that. The headunit (in your situation) is providing the power, and the rating on the speakers is just a measure of how much power you can feed into them (but should be taken with a grain of salt).

So when you are buying speakers, don't go by the numbers on them as they are meaningless. Make sure you go to a place with a sound board, have a listen to a few different speakers and let your ears make the decision for you.

Running aftermarket speakers off the standard head unit you will only gain a little bit of sound quality, don't put in a set expecting massive gains. For a decent improvement, at least upgrade the head unit as well, or run the speakers off an amp

mavro

mavro
Reaction score
Website
www.mavromatis.nl
Members Ride
VX 5.7ss
well said m8 , as said 55watt's from the radio is something like 10 to 12watt rms, so as said above it's true a amp will make it sound a lot better

gtv6capri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Holden by Design
Are the stock speakers in up-spec commodores (Calais statesman etc) better than SS berlina etc? I see the Calais has sub woofers and an amp under the rear parcel shelf, would getting a complete factory rear shelf be worthwhile buying in order to upgrade a stock SS? (Assuming it would be $100 to $200) as opposed to spending $200 on 2 pairs of new aftermarket reasonable speakers for the front and rear?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Are the stock speakers in up-spec commodores (Calais statesman etc) better than SS berlina etc? I see the Calais has sub woofers and an amp under the rear parcel shelf, would getting a complete factory rear shelf be worthwhile buying in order to upgrade a stock SS? (Assuming it would be $100 to $200) as opposed to spending $200 on 2 pairs of new aftermarket reasonable speakers for the front and rear?

I dunno what VT/X ones are like but the stock subs in Mums VZ calais are so bad that taking them out would be an improvement

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
They put the same crappy speakers into a Caprice that they use on an Executive, except the ones in the rear doors are slightly better (only just). I changed all my door speakers for better quality ones. The subs in the parcel shelf seem ok.

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
the vx speakers

hi does anyone know if they are 6" or 6 and a half inch,please.

and thanks for everyones help on this site ,i am so glad i found it.