Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speaker Pod mounts, mounting options/Ideas?

STR8Jd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden CV8 Monaro
Hi Just finished the stereo in my Monaro and only have these speaker pods for the Focal 3 way mids and tweeters to go into to mount and wire up. Has any one mounted something similar before? I would like to run the speaker wires through the centre of the mount as well for a nice clean look/finish.
I have been racking my brain and have got a few ideas, although they entail 3d printing and lathing/machining up custom options, even rare earth magnets.
Just wanted to see if any one else has done or seen something similar to have a look at some other options.
Any ideas would be cool to hear.
Cheers;
STR8jd 002.jpg001.jpg020.jpg023.jpgIMG_0301.jpg

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Hey mate, I've gone through a couple of similar set ups in my VX.

I first mounted them on an angle where the stock tweeters go, which was ok sound, but very low (sounded like music was coming from the dash all the time).
first%20mid%20range.jpg

Then I tried like this, which was better (Please excuse the shitty paint job. Was waiting for the trimming material and didn't want to just have sanded bog showing)
second%20pillars.jpg

Finally I just mounted the mids on the A pillar, and tweeters on the sail trim pods on the doors. It sounds the best but does mean when you open the door in the rain, the tweeters can get wet :( Sorry I don't have a pic of the current set up in the car, but here is the A Pillar pods. The one on the left is the finished covered one, the one on the right still has the crappy paint job (didn't use plastic primer).

pillars.jpg

I like the pods you've got, which I reckon should sound good as long as there is enough volume for the mid range (like mid woofers, mid range need enough volume to be able to play well at their lower end. If they're sealed drivers though, it shouldn't matter).

STR8Jd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden CV8 Monaro
Thanks Timmah;
If i cant figure out a way to mount these ones up i will go down the fiberglass path, cut up the pod that the focal 3 ways came with and fiberglass them on to it. I do like it when people dont settle with what they have to strive for the best sound nice job trying to chase it and improving your system! There will be plenty of power going to them (Bridged DLS C-44) so should sound pretty good hopefully!
Can i ask what did you cover the a pillars with once you had finished fibreglassing the mids in, if i have to go that way would be nice to know what you used:)
I found this picture yesterday, attached sort of what im trying to do, or looking at trying to do, i guess, will have to see a machinist to get something lathed up, if i go this way, still just going around in circles, that is why i was asking if anyone had mounted something similar before to give me a few more ideas, Cheers Mate.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 332

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
I used roof lining material which is actually similar to your a pillar trim, it's perforated with little holes. But I made the mistake of getting the foam backed stuff. It's a prick to rip the foam off!!! The only problem I see with those style pods is the cables are visible and hard to get neat. But if you used them for the main part of the pod and glassed around them, it'd work :D