Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speaker repair

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
I have a pair of Pioneer (TS-C160R) splits residing in the front doors of my VZ. Recently i noticed the passenger side door woofer has cut out completely, but if i put the volume high i would get some distorted audio out of it. I have removed the woofer and inspected it, and it seems the problem is the negative wire that travels from the terminals to the cones has become weak and only conducts when it is held in a certain postion. Considering the cost of these splits, i would love to have a go at repairing it rather than replacing them (around $300, meh). It seems the break in the wire is pretty close to the terminals, so i considered carefully coating the break in solder. But im not sure how this would hold up....
I would appreciate it muchly if i could get some opinions on this matter.
Thanks heaps!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Take them back to store, Pioneer will assess and replace if it wasn't your fault :)

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
i purchased them online, so that might be a bit hard...
what do you think about attempting to repair them?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I'd attempt to repair them, There not working currently, I dont think it can get any worse...

Cheers
MaT

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Don't get your iron to hot, dont keep the iron on the tinsel leads for a long period of time. Get it on...get it off. Have the solder already on the iron.

Don't overdrive them again.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
okay, thanks for the tips 12volt.
i'll let you know how i go

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
generaly that repair is only good for larger speakers like subs, but it will certainly work for 6"

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i did the exact same thing to my pair of 160's too. Got someone else to resolder it coz im **** at soldering and paid about 10 bucks. All good since then

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Okay, so i attempted the repair. Turns out the break was very close to the terminals, so close that i had to strip away the white silicone (that is put over the join) so i could make the solder fuse. The wire was only holding on by about 3 strands of wire! I tilted the speaker away so that if any solder fell it wouldn't land on the cone, coated the iron tip in solder, transfered the solder to the break and smoothed it out nicely. Anyways, the repair was successful and the woofer sounds like new again. Thank for your help guys!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The only problem with resoldering tinsel leads is that solder seeps up the lead when hot and will cause it to snap in the future, but at least it's fixed for now :)