Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speakers, AMP and general stuff for VS

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Hey guys Iv just picked up some Alpine SPR-60C speakers for my VS, I plan to use them in my front doors with the tweeters going into the factory place up near the windscreen. Just wondering if I should get another set for the parcel shelf or should I avoid component speakers because there is no place to put a tweeter (want everything to look factory). should I be looking at something more like the Alpine SPR-60?

Next question, say I get the SPR-60 what amp should I be looking at to run the 4 speakers best? I have a Alpine CDA-137EBT headunit as well.

Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Try to match the RMS wattage of your amp to your speakers. You're always better off going for an amp has an rms rating per channel that's higher than the rms rating of the speakers. Otherwise you can encounter clipping and severely damage your speakers (although people more often encounter problems by severely underpowering sub's.

Don't bother with splits in the rear, you're not sitting in the back too often I'd assume so just buy some coaxials

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yes that'll be fine, just turn the gain down on the amplifier to suit the speakers. It's worth having the sound system tuned by somebody with a little experience with car audio too. Makes a big difference.

Something to be aware of is to make sure you're comparing them at the same resistance. E.g. if the speakers are rated at 80wrms @ 4ohms, you'll need to make sure that you're comparing that to the amp's rms wattage @ 4ohms.