Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Specific tyre choices

Tamperer#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 3.8 "just needs a little love"
Remould = pretty looking retread with the sidewalls covered too, still have to bake the tyres to set the tread on (causing heat stress to the belts etc) and also theres no way of determining the abuse that tyre may have suffered in its days of service. i will however agree with you guys on the traction thing, the rubber is sticky as a bitch,its just a pitty it sticks to the road better than the tyre casing its attached too. only takes a pin hole in the old casing (and yes plenty of them do sneak thru) to create an air pocket under your tread (or in the sidewall as i have seen in MANY remoulds) and then the inevitable happens.
ever wondered why all the larger tyre stores (ie Bridgestone / Beaurepaires / Bob janes etc) will not sell them? LIABILITY ISSUES BIG TIME.
im not baggin the particular brand that u guys swear by as i have not come across them in this state, but plenty of other companies pump out virtually the same thing and they all fail to wow me.

just cos the average commo is taxi spec from the day it rolled off the line doesnt mean it should wear taxi shoes LOL.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I got very tired of going to the drags and running crap times on 150-200$ Sport tyres from the big brands, it was very upsetting. When you can get a tyre 5 times stickier and full traction for 65$ it makes you very happy :) it's not even about the price it's just that they are the best street tyre I can have to race on as far as traction goes. If you go and look at highways website you can see they have some pretty fancy machines for making the remoulds. Fair enough you've seen some remoulds fail but they are the burnout tyre of choice around here. I've probably seen more than 100 burnouts in competitons in the last couple of years. That puts alot of stress on the tread and these hang on at least as good and infact better than alot of new tyres. I haven't seen one throw a large section of tread and dent a car like most new tyres do

You can see in this video of highway max's that there's very minimal tread falling off before they blow (both within half a second of each other) that's pretty good build quality and consistancy

YouTube - Dave's VR Commodore burnout 4-4-2008 southcoast raceway