Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Specific tyre choices

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Alright, I need help deciding on a decent tyre to use.

I always use to run the Pirelli P6000s; Great tyre. Anyway, they've stopped producing them, and it looks like I really need tyres soon.

I'm running 215/60R15, and that's what I wanna stay with.

I was considering the Highway Max's, but apparently you'll only get around 20,000km out of them, and that's nursing.

I'm looking at a compromise of probably about 30,000-40,000km whilst being able to give them a bit (I'm not talking burnouts here), and will keep the car to the road nicely.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not sure if they make a goodyear ducaro in that size ? they seem good on my car and last a while.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think if you don't go to the drags and don't smoke them too often you could get highway max's to last a pretty long time, it's just that the people that buy them are not that kind of people so it's a mystery how long they will last :). Mine last 3 drag meetings (about 30 passes all with 2nd gear burnouts to warm up) + 5000 road km's with maybe 100 wheelpsin actions from 0-100 and then they are about stuffed. It works out like 1 dollar per skid, good value :)

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
michelin xm1+
i think is what i got.
holds on even in the wet.
when useing miches when i was a courier we would get 60000km out of them.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Bridgestone Turanza's are great.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Sorry but I wouldn't recommend Goodyear Ducaros at all. I found them terrible in the wet, unless you like going sideways EVERYWHERE.

I complained and the Tyre Shop swapped them for Dunlops SP300E.

We actually ran the Goodyear Ducaros in a motorkhana and then Dunlops in a motorkhana. Three seconds improvement in times with the Dunlops.

Having said that, the Dunlops have now gone off and they are lacking grip in the wet.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There's traction and then threre's traction :p alot of tyres people use that they think are grippy are really only about 10% on the traction scale

Calais1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo S2, VX Calais S2, WH Statesman LS8
I use Bridgestone Turanza ER30’s (255/60r/15) on my VL Turbo, since 2002 and find them very good, the I noticed that the cops use on there cars (Commodores) as well

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sorry but I wouldn't recommend Goodyear Ducaros at all. I found them terrible in the wet, unless you like going sideways EVERYWHERE.
Having said that, the Dunlops have now gone off and they are lacking grip in the wet.

Don't be sorry Pete, i was just putting the idea out there to see what people would say. I've had ducaros on the front for 25000 k's ( these are the 'new' ducaros also by the way). I'll put em on the back and see if i notice them slipping. I expect they will last 50000 easy.
What i know is they are better than RE92's, and loads better than Dunlop Monzas.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
I think if you don't go to the drags and don't smoke them too often you could get highway max's to last a pretty long time, it's just that the people that buy them are not that kind of people so it's a mystery how long they will last :). Mine last 3 drag meetings (about 30 passes all with 2nd gear burnouts to warm up) + 5000 road km's with maybe 100 wheelpsin actions from 0-100 and then they are about stuffed. It works out like 1 dollar per skid, good value :)

Not really going to the drags, but we do tend to, not slow down for a corner sometimes...if you know what I mean?

With the occasional fast corner here and there, what's the life expectenancy of them?

How much ARE the Highway Maxs?