Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed alert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Someone told me you can change the speed alert in the vs to a digital speedo. Is this true or am I just naive? If it is, how do u do it?

sillybilly205

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs statesman 5.0
yeah its true.. i think u hold down the up and down arrow on the speed alert and then start the car... i cant get it to work on my vs statesmans trip computer! anyone know how the get it to work on statsman???

davidpenrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series II 1997
on my VS Series II, i pressed up, set and down all down and started the car then waited till 100 came up and then pressed set again, now it's a digital speedo. unluck other people the light stays on, mine doesn't.

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
I did mine last week. Hold down the 3 buttons with the car switched off, turn to acc position and keep holding... it will start to beep and 100 will come up on the screen. When that happens press set, start the car up and bob's your uncle, digital speedo. This method gives you the speedo without the red flashing light and is PERMANENT. If you want to reset it to the speed alert (haha) you have to disconnect the battery.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
you dont have to disconnect the battery just repeat the process and back it goes

simmo 76

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VS ACCLAIM
cunners3 said:
I did mine last week. Hold down the 3 buttons with the car switched off, turn to acc position and keep holding... it will start to beep and 100 will come up on the screen. When that happens press set, start the car up and bob's your uncle, digital speedo. This method gives you the speedo without the red flashing light and is PERMANENT. If you want to reset it to the speed alert (haha) you have to disconnect the battery.

led light stays off? yay, didnt like driving around with it flashing.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
****Warning, this is a Re-birthed Thread.

I know this is a very old thread and as such because my son has brought up this topic with me I've re-birthed it.

If someone else can inform me if they know different, but as far as I'm aware there were two different Speed Alert units fitted, an earlier one and a later unit. The later unit had a part number of 920053373 and I'm lead to believe that this is the only unit that is able to be switched over to a permanent digital display "without" the the orange light continuously flashing by holding all three buttons while switching the ignition to the on position until the display shows 100 and then pressing the set button to engage that function.

The earlier unit with a slightly lower part number is missing a couple of pins in the cable connector receptacle and thus this one can only be temporarily switched over to a digital unit "With" the orange light continually flashing and has to be reset every time the vehicle is switched off and then back on again.

If anyone has any different views on this please post onto this thread for the history side of using the search facility.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When I did this in my 12/95 built VS, the orange light would not stay on.

No idea of the part number.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
My VR series 2 would reset everytime the car was turned off

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
My VR series 2 would reset everytime the car was turned off

This pretty well supports my theory that this was the difference between the two units. Surprisingly this newer feature was never made publicly aware by Holden. Probably because it showed that their VDO Speedo's were pretty inaccurate.