Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed bump logic?

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I just wanted to let others know about my speed bump theory:

They (speed bumps) only need to be made to a height that slows a car down to the aproximate speed limit of that particular street/road....that is to say..why make speed bumps that requires a car slow down to like 10k's(or less)...in a 50k street?????????????
Surely they should be at a height that lets the averege car travel at about the limit of the street/road.

This makes me so mad...that I always like to see how fast I can go..in between the bumps..

Cheers.

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
they dont work ..... my aunty goes over them at like 80 and gets like almost airborn lol

if you went over one at say 40 km/h normal side street speed it would be quite possible to break something and would wear suspension very quickly

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
^^^ which is why you slow down for them

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
the ones at the shopping centre i work in are really narrow and high, also made out of checkerplate metal.

my car's legal ride height at all points, and it scuffs my cats when i go over them. have to hit them at ~30 degree angles.

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
apparently they are designed so that an emergency vechle can hit them at high speed and they barely feel a thing... never tried it myself

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
apparently they are designed so that an emergency vechle can hit them at high speed and they barely feel a thing... never tried it myself

i can tell you that is bullshit, we use speed humps for rattle tests in the ambos and cop cars, they bounce just as much as any other car.

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS

trust me you will feel

your head hit the dashboard.....

haha if an ambo went over it at say 80 that would be really dangerous for a patient yeah ? unless there's "emergency suspension" as well as "cop chip" lol

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
If they were really serious about slowing people down to the limits instead of bumps they would have radar controlled spike strips which pop out of the road if you're speeding (and of coarse emergency vehicles would have the same system they use to make traffic lights go green to prevent their tires getting popped). If they were everywhere there would never be another speeding motorist, ever (cost prohibitive) lol

EDIT: Since I'm actually receiving negative rep for this, for those who can't figure it out this is sarcasm

Last edited:

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
Thought it was crap, just heard it from somwhere a long time ago.... didnt really belive it myself, hence never tried it...

The humps i hate most are the square ones that are not as wide as the lane...
only one wheel goes over and they are stupidly high.

TrEnNaVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6
in the work panel fan we cant hit them slow(below 40) or tools go everywhere. we found the lining them up, hitting the gas and hitting them at about 80 makes it smooth as a babies bum