Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
TheForgotten said:
If speed cameras were for the sole purpose of reducing speed, then we'd all have mandatory GPS style locators or black boxes that record time, distance travelled, speed etc, or we'd just have speed limiters. Which just goes to prove that cameras are for the purpose of making money.

Never mind the logistical implications of such a system right?

Consider:

The cost of providing said devices to each car
How do you make it so the car can't be used without it?
How do you force older cars to use it?
How does data get retrieved from these devices so that it can be checked by police?
Speed limiters: How does it detect the speed limit?

All of these questions can be easily answered using technology available today, but the one brick wall that cant be broken through is cost. Who pays for it? The required technology for the complete system would be hellish expensive.

Mind you, i'm not defending speed cameras. I hate them, because they only catch one type of traffic crime out of hundreds of possible ones. WE NEED MORE POLICE ON THE ROADS! and they need cameras that can record anything the cops see.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Well seeing that I pick up the end result of excessive speed (I'm not talking about speeding perse, but dangerous or inappropriate speed for the conditions) I thought I'd contribute.

Yes, speed cameras do raise revenue. Why becasue the government knows that road users will continue to do as they please on the road because God gave them some divine right. So why not make money out of these halfwits? Thats' a simple business practice.

Secondly if you flash your headlight to warn of a camera why?

If you only slow down under the speed limit, when you were exceeding the limit just because the camera is ahead then what does it say about your respect for the law, other road users and pedestrians and your own safety?

One day there will be tree with your name on it.

It is a 'blame someone else' society. Use the road with respect for others and yourself and take some responsibility instead of blaming someone else.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
:thumbsup: now, how to explain this.... you know those plastic cards that looking from the left side you see a pic of a girl in bikini..... then look from the right side you see a naked girl.... i found USA site that sells clear plastic number plate covers.... looking from straight on you can see your number as usual ( very clear)..... from 30 degree angle ( appearntly speed cameras use this angle) ... half your numbers are blurred out.... also from the top to blurr out the other half cos red light and overhead bridge cameras use 30 degree too.... :thumbsup:

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
It is an offence to obscure or attempt to obscure a number plate.

Then again you'd only be doing it you were trying to hide your plate becasue you were doing something wrong.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
Stretcher... i know a mate that has factory produced tinted plate covers.... he's seen the flash go off a few times but no ticket.... but then maybe i read somewhere because of budget problems some cameras dont have film in them but the flash still goes off...

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
That's clever policing!
From memory the covers have to allow a ceretain degree angle of visiblity?
Maybe he's speed was when adjusted under the limit.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
I notice a lot of people here in QLD getting black personalised plates with brown lettering which makes the letters hardly visible unless your really close.

I thought all plate covers are illegal (maybe thats just in QLD).

smokey_dj

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 vn series 2 exec [URMONY] & 93 vp calais
holdensupporter2005 said:
One question about the cameras on the hume freeway just north of Melbourne (Between Melbourne and Seymour, about 8 sets). Are these camera's time camera's (I.E time traveled Between several camera points), Or are these just speed camera's that go off if you speed past them???

only if you speed through them they will go off there not on time/kmph setup

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
greengopher said:
if it wasn't revenue raising then flashing your high beams to warn of a radar wouldn't be an offence.

they both achieve the same effect as far as slowing people down.

Well thats not 100% true, just say for instance that there is a serial speeder and just poor driver with no respect for the law. Also lets just say he's on the 1 point challenge (in vic) and in the coming month he will cause a fatal accident where he kills a family in a small car with his WB statesman. Also lets say that he's driving down the road at 85 in a 50 zone (which is normal for him) and someone coming the other way flashes him and warns him of the TMU car in the side street. The driver then slows down with a thanking wave to the driver who flashed him and passes the radar under the limit and retains his licence so he can kill the family in the small car.

Ok it's pretty unlikely but is definately possible. I would say 60% revenue raising 30% public relations and 10% safety.

my 2c

(and I was a stupid driver in the past myself with 3 loss of licence offences)

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
greengopher said:
i haven't had a speeding ticket since 1994:p
I hadn't had one for 15 years. Until 3 weeks after getting my VS. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.